Mike, VW Mechanic
Experience:  34 Years of working on vehicle repair & Diagnostics ! ;)
9261905

I have a T4 transporter how do I change the drive shafts

Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Mike :

If you are then replacing them complete - you first need to slack the centre hub / drive shaft bolt -before lifting the vehicle on to stands - you need the wheels on the floor as the hub bolt is very tight

Mike :

Once you have slackened the centre hub / shaft bolts - raise the vehilce - onto stands and be sure its secure as all your work will be under it.

Mike :

then you need to remove the undertray if fitted...

Customer:

Hi Mike

Mike :

Then you need to undo the bolts on the flange on the diff - where the shaft enters the diff...to allow the shaft to come away.

Mike :

HI there...

Mike :

?

Mike :

I see you have joined me - I was just typing out the instriuctions generally for you ;) IS there anything particualr you need to know

Customer:

Yes, do I need to split any ball joints or take anything else apart that might be in the way?

Mike :

The Chat is a bit slow Im afraid today..

Customer:

I take it that i am better to jack both wheels up at the same time? Instead of doing one side then the other..?

Mike :

You can do it without removing the arms - suspension arms - but you may need to undo the shockabsorber mounts -

Mike :

Yes thats right - really - but you can do one side at a time, it doesnt really matter.

Mike :

If you undo the diff plates - bolts - to allow the inner of the drive shaft to drop- you can withdraw it from the outer hub that way -

Customer:

Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX in the order of things? Once i have all this, I'll print it off and take it to the garage with me :)

Mike :

but you need enough clearance - thats why I suggest the undoing of the s/ absorber mounts to allow you to lever the suspension down - or, you can undo the outer suspension joints - and pull it out outwards = thats just personal preference really - whichever you prefer -

Mike :

Yes you can print it off no problem - just use the ctrl +P

Customer:

Is that all I need to know then?

Mike :

Make sure you have a tray to catch any spilled gear oil when you undo the shaft from the inner / diff

Mike :

(sorry I was typing ;)

Customer:

Do I have to prop anything up before I undo the bottom shock absorber mount?

Mike :

Really thats about it - theres a lot of tugging and pulling - but its usual with drive shafts - overal - its not a bad job really - just moving things out of the way ! ;)

Mike :

make sure you have a good array of tools and a big strong bar to press the suspension arm down to allow you to withdraw the shaft.

Customer:

Customer:

Okay, I think that's about it. I didn't realise that the gear oil would leak out from the diff end, but then i did see a gasket when i opened the box with the new drive shaft in

Mike :

no it wont drop any real distance - and you do in fact need to press it down to get the shaft out as abve when you undo the suspension joints - you will need a good hammer too for that - a lump hammer is best -

Mike :

they are quite tight - you need to be prepared to strike them really hard several times to seperate them - dont be afraid to do that.you wont break it !

Mike :

Its failry straightforward really once you get going

Mike :

but you can always get back to me if you need to at any time.

Mike :

...system says you are typing so Im just waiting on you .... ;)

Customer:

just to recap then, once i've taken the lower shock absorber bolt out, ive got to strike the suspension arm downwards? That is what you mean by "strike them really hard several times to separate them"? I'm pretty sure now i have the mental picture of everything

Customer:

I think now that we've had a chat, i agree with you.. I will jack the front end up completely and do both sides simultaneously. do you agree? Thanks

Mike :

yes - if you cant get the shaft out once the inner bolts are removed , at the diff - by dropping it and withdrawing it from the hub - sort of - toward the centre of the vehilce... then you will want to undo the lower outer suspension / arms...which allows the hub then to swing out - so that you can take the shaft out that way -

Mike :

I personally do that yes - that saves a lot of messing ! ;)

Customer:

Ok, thanks again. Mark. I'll go and start. when i have finished, do i need to confirm this with you so that this is all payed for and finished with?

Mike :

No - all you need to do is click the Accept now for me and thats that - but anytime if you need / wish to come back to me again, just come back to this post again -and type a message to me...once I receive it, I will always get back to you to help further if you need - ;)

Customer:

That's great. Thanks

Mike :

No problem at all. Very glad to have helped - and I hope all goes well for you .. Im sure it will ;)

Mike :

..Please dont forget the Accept for me now, as thats how Im credited for helping you - Thank You again ..

Customer:

ok, once i've pressed accept, how do i come back to the chat?

Mike :

The Accept hasn't gone through - I see it here when it does...so you will need to do that again. When you press the accept and it goes through - it will tell you there too - and you will then have an email to your JA account / back to this post

Mike :

Once you click the Accept and it goes through - I can let you know if you like.

Customer:

Ok thanks :)

Mike :

No problem at all ;)

Mike :

Thats gone through now - Thank you ... All the best with the job - and again, IM always here at some point every day so if you do need to get back to me - post again here using the reply button and I will always get back to you when I receive your message - Best Rgds - MIKE.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, sorry forgot I forgot to ask.. In the GSP drive shaft box was a packet of grease. Is that an assembly grease for thread etc. or do i pack it into the ball bearings on the diff end? I don't think so because I'm thinking once all bolted up, the differentail transmission oil will do all that? Mark
Hello again Mark..

Yes thats for inside the cv boots / joints - You have bought the shafts completely assembled so you wont need that - though you can use it to help things go back together nicely etc ;)

But no - not if your shaft has the joints on / sealed cv joints , you dont need to open them up and grease , they are pre greased ...

Best Rgds - MIKE..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Mike, do I need to pay again? Mark
No problem Mark...

No you dont need to click Accept again - If you do - I get a another payment !! .... you use the "bonus" button if you want to add that ... ;-))))

Best Rgds Mark...

MIKE...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike, I have found that the top of the ball joint to the top suspension arm is broken and it looks like it is sort of cracking open... would this cause a knocking or excessive play when turning the sterring while driving? I have assumed from the start that it is the cv joints in the drive shafts doing this. Maybe this might be my problem. What do you think? Mark.
Hi there....

Does the arm have like a slit at the end... If its a clean proper 'cut, , then that's normal... It squeezes / pinches tight as the bolt is tightened on that type..... If its not that type, and it looks like a fracture, then certainly that would not be right and would cause such issues. You can upload me a pic if you like....

Rgds, MIKE