VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with VW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

2003 Volkswagen GTI: clutch cable..I push the clutch pedal..it stays

2003 Volkswagen GTI: I think I need to replace the clutch cable. I push the clutch pedal, it does not operate the clutch and it stays down. How can I fix it?
Category: VW
Expert:  VWDoc replied 5 years ago.

VWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

VWDoc :

ok, the first thing we will need to know is if it's just a hydraulic cylinder problem, or a mechanical problem

VWDoc :

have you seen any fluid leaks? Brake fluid low?

VWDoc :

there is no clutch cable on this transmission

VWDoc :

There are two hydraulic cylinders that control clutch operation. There is the clutch master cylinder which is connected directly to your clutch pedal....

VWDoc :

which, which the pedal is pressed, applies pressure to the clutch slave cylinder, which applies pressure to the clutch pressure plate, which disengages the clutch disc

VWDoc :

which, when the pedal is pressed*

VWDoc :

I rarely see clutch master cylinders fail on these

VWDoc :

often see clutch slave cylinders fail, and on the 6-spd transmission, requires transmission removal to replace it

VWDoc :

and as long as the transmission is out, it's best to replace the pressure plate and clutch disc at the same time