VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

voltswagon passat: 1999 voltswagon passat, starter stop responing

1999 voltswagon passat, starter stop...
1999 voltswagon passat, starter stop responing . Is there a relay in the dash that might be the reson? A slight oder was noticed the day it stop responing. All of the electrical fuses or ok.
12/3/2011
Tim's Auto Repair

tim's auto repair :

hi

tim's auto repair :

yes there is.....this may help you

tim's auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tim's auto repair :

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan (3B2) (AEB)
Starter Relay Locations, Components: Starter Locking Relay (Anti-Theft Immobilizer) [J433]

Customer:

Could this be the problem?

Customer:

Can it be tested?

tim's auto repair :

well

tim's auto repair :

i dont know of a good test for this

tim's auto repair :

yes,,it "could" be the problem

tim's auto repair :

sense you did smell something

tim's auto repair :

Customer:

I have it in hand and no signs of order.

tim's auto repair :

ok

tim's auto repair :

you may also want to check the other relays in the relay ceter[box]

Customer:

oder

tim's auto repair :

Starter Relay Locations, Components: Relay Positions on Relay Panels

RELAY LOCATIONS

Relay location on the thirteen position auxiliary relay panel, above relay panel:

46_vw15.9118_ewd_06-001a.png
Full Size Image

Thirteen Fold/Position Auxiliary Relay Panel

1 - Coolant Fan Control (FC) Relay (214) (a)
2 - Solar Cell Separation Relay
2 - Relay for Motor Remote Unlock Rear Lid (79)
3 - A/C Clutch Relay (267)
3 - A/C Cut-Off Control Module (384)
4 - A/C Cut-Off Control Module (384)
5 - Daytime running Lights Change-over Relay (173)
6 - Selector Lever Light Relay (205)
7 - Fog Light Relay (381)
7 - J9 - Rear Window Defogger Relay (381)
8 - Daytime Running Lights Change-over Relay (173)
8 - Control Unit Multifunction Steering Wheel (450)
9 - Control Unit Multifunction Steering Wheel (450)
10 - Brake Booster Relay (373) (569)
10 - Lamp Failure Control Module (373)
12 - Starting Interlock Relay (Alarm System) (185) (186)
13 - Starting Interlock Relay (204)
13 - Starting Interlock Relay (Clutch Position) (204)
13 - Starting Interlock Relay (Clutch System) (53)

(a) Applies only to the following engines:
- 1.8L AEB/AUG/ATW
- 1.8L AWM with manual A/C control
- 2.8L AHA with manual A/C control
- 2.8L ATQ with manual A/C control (MY from 10/00)

Relay panel:

47_vw15.9118_ewd_06-001b.png
Full Size Image

Relay Panel

1 - Dual Horn Relay (53) (204)
2 - Load Reduction Relay (213)
3 - Wiper/Washer Intermittent Relay (317)
4 - Fuel Pump (FP) Relay (208) (372)
V - Wiper/Washer Intermittent Relay (377)
VI - Wiper/Washer Intermittent Relay (377)

Relay location on the eightfold auxiliary relay panel, behind relay panel:

45_vw15.9118_ewd_06-001c.png
Full Size Image

Eight Fold/Position Relay Panel

2 - Second Speed Coolant Fan Control (FC) Relay (V7) (b)
4 - ABS Solenoid Valve Relay (373)
5 - Coolant Fan Control (FC) Relay (214) (c)
5 - First Speed Coolant Fan Control (FC) Relay (214) (d)
5 - First Speed Engine Coolant (EC) Fan Control (FC) Relay (V7, V35) (e)
7 - ABS Return Flow Pump Relay (373)
8 - Second Speed Coolant Fan Control (FC) Relay (213) (f)

(b) Applies only to the following engines:
- 1.8L AWM
- 2.0L Diesel BHW
(c) Applies to vehicles with 80W coolant fan
(d) Applies only to the following engines:
- 1.8L AEB/AUG/ATW
- 2.8L AHA with manual A/C control
- 2.8L AHA with Climatronic (MY through 7/98)
(e) Applies only to the following engines:
- 1.8L AWM
- 2.0L Diesel BHW
(f) Applies only to the following engines:
- 1.8L AEB/AUG/ATW
- 2.8L AHA with manual A/C control

NOTE: Number in parentheses indicates production control number stamped on relay housing.

tim's auto repair :

tim's auto repair :

Starter Relay Locations, Components: Starting Interlock Relay [J207]

tim's auto repair :

Customer:

How do I ID them on sight?

tim's auto repair :

they are numbered

tim's auto repair :

look at the pictures

tim's auto repair :

Relay Panel Location

The relay panel and 13-position auxiliary relay panel are located in the driver side footwell, behind the lower instrument panel trim. The 8-position auxiliary relay panel is located just behind the relay panel and 13-position auxiliary relay panel.

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic