VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 how to add transmission fluid for a 2008

Customer Question
how to add transmission fluid...
how to add transmission fluid for a 2008 jetta with a 2.5 automatic engine
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: VW
9/12/2011
VW Mechanic: Hipo64, ASE Certified T replied 6 years ago
Hipo64
Hipo64, ASE Certified T

Hipo64 :

Hi and Welcome to just answer!

Hipo64 :

I am Pavlin and will be assisting you with your question

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

hey im yuriy

Hipo64 :

I can send you coplete procedure if you would like, or I can explain with my own words.

Hipo64 :

to do it properly, you will need scan tool connected to vehicle diagnostics.

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

which one is easier cause i bought the oil for the transmission today from the dealer then the dealer told me i have to use a special tool to poor the oiul in and have to take it to them is this true

Hipo64 :

Yes and NO, Transmission temperature has to be 30C degrees at time of checking

Hipo64 :

this will asure proper level.

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

so which step could i do at my house and which do i have to ake to them

Hipo64 :

first you will check if fluid id needed or not.

Hipo64 :

let say now is summer time and daytime temperature is around 25C

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

i just replaced the tranmission my self cause i wrecked the old transmission and the junkyard i bought it from told me they completely drained it before they sold it to me

Hipo64 :

OK

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

so what would i do first to pour the oil in

Hipo64 :

oil is fitted from the bottom of of transmission oil pan

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

so would i put a tube in the bottom where there is a bolt in the oil pan and how would i telll if the transmision is full

Hipo64 :

there is tool. small pipe with treads, which will be treaded to the plase of oil drain plug and then using pump, or manual pump

Hipo64 :

first you will fill about 4 litters untill start dripping

Hipo64 :

then you will start the engine and continue filling untill it drips again

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

where exactly were it start dripping from and whrere can i get this tool from

Hipo64 :

it will drip from same plase where you are adding the oil

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

but when i take this tube off wont the loi pour out of this hole

Hipo64 :

just give me a minute I will prepare info for you with pictures

Hipo64 :

not if engine is running

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

so if the engine is running it wont pour out where could i buy this tool from

Hipo64 :

when starts to drip with running engine then it is full. you will have to close it while engine is idling,

Hipo64 :

just a minute, I will send you info and will check where you can buy,

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

do i only need this adapter piece or the pump also, or could i just hang the oil up and let gravity pull the oil in

Hipo64 :

adaptor you need

Hipo64 :

pump you do not cause you do not do this everyday

Hipo64 :

you can use one of those hand oil fill pumps,will try to send you picture

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

finnaly i read the info you sent i said pull the atf out and see if it is dripping does this mean pull the adapter or what exactly does that mean

Hipo64 :

I will send you the amount of oil transmission needs

Hipo64 :

but yes you will pull it out and if does not drip, then you add more

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

the dealership told me i need 5 litters of oil thats what i bought

Hipo64 :

when transmission is empty, new fill is 7 litters

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

so i should buy 2 more and a new seal to close i off when im done filling it correct

Hipo64 :

yes, there may be a little left in the tranny you have, but you better have it then not.

Hipo64 :

you can also use a tool like this.

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

ill make sure i drain every last bit and then fill in 7 litters into the tranny is there anything else important i should now about doing this

Hipo64 :

Just to have the vehicle in flat leveled surface

Hipo64 :

You have all you need as of information

Hipo64 :

please do not forget to click on the accept button, as I am not credited for helping you today if you do not click on it.

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

finnaly if i pour to much into the tranny and it pours out when i remove the atf do i let it pour out until it starts dripping a little only or how do i do that

Hipo64 :

you add in small portions. but first you add oil without engine running

Hipo64 :

you will add about 3-4 litters

Hipo64 :

this will help transmission not to be dry when you start it

Hipo64 :

then you will continnue adding lets say 0.5 litters at the time.

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

then i will add in small portions and check for dripping for the adapter piece correct

Hipo64 :

yes, you just pull off filling hose from addaptor, if drips you are done, if not add more

Hipo64 :

no need to remove addaptor, only hose or plastic tube that will be used to go over it

Hipo64 :

look at picture with fluid level again and you will understand it

Hipo64 :

if level is more it will overflow

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

sorry lastly willl i us that hump you put a picture of up to pour in the oil correct

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

i mean pump not hump

Hipo64 :

it is handy and not expencive , it will do the work

Hipo64 :

you can buy in any local auto supply store

JACUSTOMER-nlxi2d9g- :

but i will have to pour the oil in in small portions with this pump correct

Hipo64 :

this pump only takes 1/2 litter

Hipo64 :

so it is perfect

Hipo64
Hipo64
Hipo64, ASE Certified T