VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Volkswagen passat how do you bleed the brakes on a 2000 vw

Customer Question
how do you bleed the...
how do you bleed the brakes on a 2000 vw passat?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: VW
9/12/2011
VW Mechanic: eauto, The Car Guy replied 6 years ago
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

CAUTION!
Only use new brake fluid conforming to VW standard (VW 501 14).

¤On vehicles with EDL, EDL/ASR or EDL/ASR/ESP, the brake system must be pre-bled when a chamber in the brake fluid reservoir is completely empty (for example brake system leaking).
  • Remove rear wheels.

Pre-Bleeding

• Connect (VAS 5234).

Bleeding sequence:

1 - Bleed left front and right front brake caliper together simultaneously.

2 - Bleed left rear and right rear brake caliper together simultaneously

• With bleeder bottle hoses attached, leave bleeder valves open long enough that brake fluid exits without bubbles.

Then hydraulic unit must be bled once more via function basic setting using (VAS 5051).

Initiate basic setting (to bleed the brake system):

(VAS 5051), connecting and selecting functions. Refer to => [ VAS 5051, Connecting and Selecting Functions ]

• Then, brake system must be bled normally

Bleeding

Adhere strictly to work sequence when bleeding brake system.

• Connect (VAS 5234).
  • Open bleeder valves in the prescribed sequence and bleed brake caliper.

1 - Left front brake caliper

2 - Right front brake caliper

3 - Left rear brake caliper

4 - Right rear brake caliper

Use suitable bleeder hose. It must fit tightly on bleeder valve so that no air gets into brake system.

• With bleeder bottle hose attached, leave bleeder valve open long enough that brake fluid exits without bubbles.

Post-Bleeding

A second technician is required to assist:

• Depress brake pedal forcefully and hold.
  • Open bleeder valve at brake caliper.
  • Press brake pedal down onto stop.
  • Close bleeder valve with pedal depressed.
  • Release brake pedal slowly.

This bleeding procedure must be performed 5 times per brake caliper.

Bleeding sequence:

1 - Left front brake caliper

2 - Right front brake caliper

3 - Left rear brake caliper

4 - Right rear brake caliper

A road test must be performed after bleeding. During this, at least one ABS regulation must be performed!

• Install rear wheels.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
How many times do you have to pump brakes old fashion way to get fluid. Have been working on this project for about hour and still no fluid to caliper.
i open all the bleeers...,Take the cap off the master cylinder and wait for gravity to do the work and let it drip...then when they start dripping close off the bleeders and start your manual bleeding
how long should I wait before I see brake fluid
some times 20 minutes sometimes quicker
why does the master cylinder connect to another box before trveling to the brakes? could this be an issue?
its not dripping yet?
only driver side rear.

close up all the bleeders..and pump it up and start again... it may be seriously air bound..if not a vacum bleeder may help

eauto
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy