vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

passat: cuts..rpm..Code reader came up with po 321..check engine light

I have an 06 passat that cuts out at about 4500 rpm. Code reader came up with po 321. No check engine light was on
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Have you checked the crank sensor ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cleared the code, and it now goes full throttle, no cutout. The car hadna bad battery, so I put in a new one, and now the MFD display shows zeros when I decellerate instead of the flat bars. Running much better. It does have a funny sound at idle, sort of a loping intake sound. Goes away off idle and runs well. Quite due for an oil change
Ok am glad you found the issue make sure you get the oil change done ASAP because more then likely the oil level is low . I hope this helps .

Please don't forget to click accept for my time and knowledge thank you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have been looking on the interned and have found some negative issues surrounding worn cams and cam followers for the fuel pump. Could this cause the sound at idle, or do these engines have a noticeable sound at idle? Are there any tsbs or known problems you are familiar with?
This is true you need to check to see if the noise is coming from the drivers side of the engine if it is then this may be your issue but you will need to pull out the high pressure pump to see if the cam is damaged. I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is removing the pump a big deal? The noise is not there when cold, but shows up when it warms up.
Its not too hard remove 3 torx bit screws and then the fuel line of the bottom of the pump it will take you a little bit of time . If this is the issue there is a warranty extension on it from vw till 100,000 miles which would be good in your case if under 100k . I hope all this has helped.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Looks like you have zoned me in on the problem. I am in Canada, and the car has 145,000 km which is 90,000 miles. Do you know if they do the conversion?
They should I would call and ask before going . I hope this helps.