VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2006 VW jetta: the catalytic converter to pass emissions…

Customer Question
I have 115k miles on...
I have 115k miles on my 2006 VW jetta. I have loan on it with a balance of $3700. I just replaced the catalytic converter to pass emissions, now the transmission has to be replaced. I'm wondering if I should replace the transmission for $2400 or see if I can trade this car in and get something else that is used with around 50k miles. Is it worth replacing the transmission at this point in the cars life?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: VW
6/2/2011
VW Mechanic: jjsledge, VW Technician replied 11 years ago
jjsledge
jjsledge, VW Technician

jjsledge :

before you trade the vehicle in you should determine what the value of the vehicle is. trade in value of this vehicle is very little with a bad transmission. any dealer will low ball you if the vehicle is not driveable or if it shifts poorly. based on what you owe and what it will take to repair you may opt to repair this vehicle. you will mostlikely not recieve enough of a trade in value to cover what you owe. you should also get a second opinion on the transmission repair. hopefully this helps please hit accept if i have answered your question if you need further information please let me know Thanks Jim

Customer: Should the transmission cost less than 2400? I think it was for a new transmission, not used.
Customer: Is it normal for this cars transmission to go bad at 115k miles?
jjsledge :

a factory trans will cost much more than $2400.00 I have seen transmissions go at 2000 miles and have seen them last for 300000 miles it is very hard to say when a transmission will fail. what is actually happening with the trans?

Customer: Hard gear shifting from 3-4 and from 5-6. RPMs freq shoot up over 4 in idle. Often sticks in
Customer: 3rd gear. Causes brakes to screech when downshifting to come to a stop.
jjsledge :

who told you it needed a transmission?

Customer: Actually 2 people, both were local family mechanics, not dealerships. Both plugged in to run codes and it spit out multiple transmission code and emissions codes that relAted to the catalytic.converter. 2nd opinion drove my car about 100mi to get check engine lite off so I could pass inspection for the catalytic converter prob, thats when he said i had a major transmission problem.
jjsledge :

do you know what the transmission codes were?

Customer: Looking through my folder of car papers here, just a sec...
jjsledge :

ok

Customer: Looks like the codes I have are just the ones relating to emissions. I was standing in the shop when it was giving them the transmission codes but I didn't get that printout . Just had the codes printed from a dealer when I went for an oil change somewhere else , and same codes appeared when I went for an inspection 8 months later (check engine light was on during those 8 months). So no transmission codes on my papers..
jjsledge :

ok your description of the shifting issue sounds more like a valve body problem and will be less expensive to replace then the entire transmission you should have the dealer diagnose this concern they have the correct equipment to check presures and check for electronic controls for this transmission just because a transmission s shifting poorly this does not always mean the transmission needs replacement also this may me a transmission electronics problem such as a temperature sensor or transmission control unit. most local repair shops recommend replacement of entire trans because it is easier to replace trans than diagnose some of the electronics inside the trans. My feeling right now is that the problem may be the valve body replacement of the valve body would run around 1600.00 but without performing some specific tests on the trans it is just my experience talking i have replaced many valve bodies and very few VW transmissions. hopefully this helps

Customer: This does help, thank u.
jjsledge
jjsledge, VW Technician