Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

1998 VW Jetta TDI: power steering..cv joints may be worn..look fine

I have a 1998 VW Jetta TDI with power steering, When I turn it fully to either side when the engine is cold in morning, the steering surges like the CV joints may be worn. The CV boots look fine. Later during day I do not nntice this surging. Should I be alarmed and try to fix whatever might be causing that surging. Thanks
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 years ago.

Eurocar Inc :

hello there

Eurocar Inc :

the power steering is suffering from "morning sickness" that is when cold the steering feels jumpy and takes more effort to turn. when warm the seals swell and all is well

Eurocar Inc :

the correction is to replace the steering gear and an alignment is needed afterwards!

Eurocar Inc :

if it does not do that when warm and while driving i would drive till it gets alot worse but if you are still worried then replace the steering gear!

Eurocar Inc :

I think i have answered you question fully and deposits does not pay me in full until the green accept button is pressed for the consultation

thank you for you support in JustAnswer and have a great day

p.s. please do not forget the feedback and bonuses are greatly appreciated!!

Customer:

Nest weekend is 1/2 price day at wrecking yard and there are two 98 Jettas in there but they are not TDI's . That should not matter, I would think. Do you think I out to get one of those steering gears? Is it the gears that wear out? Could a steering box be repaired? I have had many VW's and am 67 years old and never had to replace a steering gear box. I once put in an better steering gear box in a van, one that was in a wrecked van that had roller bearings and was manufactured in France (in a VEEDUB). My old steering box was difficult and knocked. The one with roller bearings instead of bushings was much better, eventhough it was made in France. If I do try to remove a steering box from a wrecked Jetta, how could I determine it was a good one? Thank you

Eurocar Inc :

hello

Customer:

hello, hope you are fine

Eurocar Inc :

you need to see if you have a TRW or a ZF steering gear there is a tag w/ a part# XXXXX manufacturer on it and must be the same!

Eurocar Inc :

luck!

Eurocar Inc :

on a good one!

Customer:

I think it is TRW. They look a little different. I have a Bentley service manual that shows pictures. Would there be some way to determine if a steering box is good when?

Eurocar Inc :

if there is no oil residue on the ends of the boots then pretty good chance!

Customer:

Ok, I got that about endo of the boots. Could it be that reducing the steering travel may be cure for surging at end of travel? Could it be adjust to go beyond the gears teeth?

Eurocar Inc :

no adjustment it is fixed!

Customer:

OK, Thank you for your advice. I punch out now. Have a great day.

Eurocar Inc :

Eurocar Inc :

have a safe one!