vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

1999 New Beetle-- gas cover release wont open gas cover. When

1999 New Beetle-- gas cover release won't open gas cover. When I pull the release lever, I ear a whirring, but the cover doesn't open (even if someone holds he lever while I try to "pry" the cover open. Do you have any suggestions? Is there a manual release?
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

You will need to open the rear hatch and remove the passenger rear taillight assembly to be able to get access to the cable to release the fuel door more then likely the cable is bad and will need a new one. To remove the taillight there is a access panel that you can remove in the passenger trunk trim to remove the plastic nut that holds the assembly remove the nut the pop the assembly out then you will see the cable. I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If the cable is bad, will there still be a way for me to open the cover manually?
The cable is more then likely stuck that the actuator cannot even freeze it up. Once you get to the cable you can manually pull it and it should release these are common to fail.