VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a brand new 2011 Golf GTI with factory rims and Pirelli…

Customer Question
I have a brand new...
I have a brand new 2011 Golf GTI with factory rims and Pirelli performance tires. Noticed vehicle pulling and brought it back to dealer. They did an alignment and tire balance and told me it was fine. It was still pulling, so I returned and this time they cross rotated the tires. Told me again it's fine and it wasn't. Returned again and got an hour presentation of how this vehicle is designed to perform with these "special" tires. Test drove car with shop manager and car immediatly pulls to the right when letting go of steering wheel, every single time regardless of speed or road conditions (State road or highway). Was told again that car is designed to perform this way but to 'ease my mind' they put brand new rims and tires on car. Test drove again, same track and it yet again pulled and I mean over 3 lanes of traffic when I let it. Was told all cars drive that way. I then asked to test drive another vehicle and they gave me one with my old tires on it. Nooooo pulling. Hmm. They then send my car to a specialty alignment shop. They adjusted the toe. Fine, yet again. Test drove with manager and it is still pulling the same way. The final answer from dealer and VW of North America: The car doesn't pull, it drifts which is normal. The repairs were only performed to "keep me happy" and vehicle performes as per design. Please advise if this pulling/drifting is normal. All I know is that I am constantly adjusting the steering wheel to the point where I am feeling
the tiredness in my arm. And just for info, I know how performance tire and sport vehicle handle. I owned an Audi, Cadillac CTS-V, BMW M3..
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: VW
10/19/2010
VW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 12 years ago
Matt, Engineer
Hello

can you tell me what model/ size of tyre is fitted please?
Pirelli Pzero Nero all season. 225/40 R 18
VW Mechanic: jjsledge, VW Technician replied 12 years ago
jjsledge
jjsledge, VW Technician

Hello

Lets see if I can help

Does the vehicle drift/pull while accelerating or coasting?

Both.

Ok without actually driving your vehicle it is hard to understand the severity of your concern, but here are a few things I know. yes your vehicle may tend to drift or pull under accelleration due to torque steer on your vehicle you feel this more with the tires that are on your car. the vehicle may drift or pull depending on road crown but it should not pull all the time while not under load. also make sure that the dealer has the latest software for their alignment machine to make sure they are performing alignment for correct year. also make sure they are choosing the right suspension option on the alignment machine. there are a few choices. have you spoke directly with the VW zone rep? if not ask to take a ride with the rep to show him the concern. if you feel that the dealer is giving you the run around try taking it to another dealer in town. (if there is one) also ask to drive another GTI to show them the difference in your vehicle to another one. this is a easy way to tell if it is a normal condition.I will do this with my customers all the time to show them if something is designed that way. also you may ask to have another set of wheels and tires put on your vehicle to test drive to see if there is a difference. you should not have to go through all this, this is a new vehicle. make sure you contact Volkswagen customer service (the Phone#is in your owners manual) make sure you tell them how many times you have been back for this concern and how unhappy you are .be nice they will help you more if you are nice. just explain the frustration and all you want is it to be rectified. hopefully this has helped please hit accept so I may be paid for my advice. If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to let me know

Thanks Jim

jjsledge
jjsledge, VW Technician