VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2003 VW Jetta: 1.8 Turbo..000 miles..The car has lost power and shifts…

My son has a 2003...
My son has a 2003 VW Jetta 1.8 Turbo Wolfsburg edition with with 92,000 miles. The car has lost power and shifts very hard. It feels like it is not getting any turbo boost. I have changed the turbo and the car is the same. The transmission does not feel like it is slipping. It is showing two trouble codes, P0102 Mass or Volume Circuit Low input and P2637 Torque Management Signal "A". While the engine is running it sometimes sounds like an electric motor is quietly running in the transmission. The engine starts normally and seems to run fine other then no power.

What could be causing this problem?
10/13/2010
VW Mechanic: jjsledge, VW Technician replied 12 years ago
jjsledge
jjsledge, VW Technician

jjsledge :

Hello Let me see if I can help is the car available for testing something?

JACUSTOMER-0r7oxem0- :

Yes.

jjsledge :

ok I would like you to try something do you know where the Mas Air Flow sensor is under the hood?

JACUSTOMER-0r7oxem0- :

Yes I do.

jjsledge :

ok i want you to go to the car and un plug it then drive the car tell me if the performance is better,worse,or the same this will turn the check engine light on if it is not allready on do u feel comfortable with that?

JACUSTOMER-0r7oxem0- :

Yes I do. This will take a few minutes, OK. The car is the same!

jjsledge :

ok do you have the VIN# XXXXX I can loock up some technical info on your car

JACUSTOMER-0r7oxem0- :

I will get it.

jjsledge :

ok

JACUSTOMER-0r7oxem0- :

3VWPE69M03M197422

jjsledge :

give me a minute

JACUSTOMER-0r7oxem0- :

OK

jjsledge :

ok I found a technical bulletin regarding the P0102 Code it says that there is a possibility that the throttle valve may be excessively dirty and should be cleaned also inspect all crankshaft ventillation lines to see if they are clogged or broken this is very dificult to do due to most of these hoses are located under your intake manifold .also there is a few tests that have to be performed with the Volkswagen scan tool. but before we go there has the Transmission control module been scanned for diagnostic codes yet?

JACUSTOMER-0r7oxem0- :

No, I don't think my code reader is capable of scanning the transmission. I did replace a bad section of formed plastic PCV pipe($100 junk). I thought that might solve my problem but it didn't. Maybe there are others that I didn't see.

jjsledge :

on top of the valve cover on the end toward the drivers side is a rubber hose shaped like a "Y" feel it if it is spongy most likely the other hoses are bad, also the P2637 code may be related to a trans issue wich may be causing the p0102 cod but not usually the case, it is usually the P0102 code that cause the P2637 code. check the hoses and check the throttle valve to see if it is dirty if so clean it if the Y hose is spongy then the other hoses under the intake will most likely need replacement. also if you decide to embark on this repair be advised that almost everytime i have done this job replacing the hoses under the intake many things tend to break due to how hot and brittle they get under there . also you should replace the Pcv valve and suction jet pump. to properly diagnose these codes you will need a scan tool with capabilities of reading live engine data such as a vag com scanner or a vw scan tool, in the past there are a few things that i have seen that will cause these codes. Mas Air flow sensor,bad throttle valve ,broken intercooler( under right front of car) and broken vacuum pipeing/hoses . also when checking your vin# XXXXX VW database you have a recall open on your vehicle to replace the ignition coils,Hopefully this helps please hit accept so I may be paid for my advice.If you need further information please let me know Thanks Jim

JACUSTOMER-0r7oxem0- :

I feel your advice is usefull and will accept.

JACUSTOMER-0r7oxem0- :

I think your advice has been valueable and will accept.

jjsledge :

Thank You let me know if you need further help I will be glad to help very

jjsledge
jjsledge, VW Technician