VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

2002 VW: the EGR valve on two occasions..blown..light came back

Customer Question
I have a 2002 VW...
I have a 2002 VW polo comfort line 65 bhp, 1198cc. Over the last year i have changed the EGR valve on two occasions and on both occasions it has blown again. The engine management light came back on shortly after both changes. On each occasion when it blew the car sounded like it had no exhaust system and appeared lacking in power beforehand.On the last occasion when it was changed the other sensors on the exhaust were also changed making it very expensive and not sorting the problem. The cat convertor appears in order. I would appreciate your view.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: VW
10/7/2010
VW Mechanic: Martin, auto electrical replied 7 years ago
Martin, auto electrical

Hi Martin here.

As you have probably learnt by now the EGR valve provides a reliable means of precisely controlling the exhaust gas flow in a very hostile, high-temperature environment. That is why this unit is always giving so many problems. There is a blank off-plate available which has been tried and tested by VW. This might resolve your problem. The part number from VW 24575592. I would suggest that you have someone do a physical demonstration to establish whether it would be worth your while having it installed as I have no practical experience of this particular problem, only having gathered this information from other VW experts.

Thank you Martin i will talk to my mechanic tomorow and advise him of your reply. Will this have an effect on the engine management light as the car is due for the NCT and will fail if the engine management light is shown lit.

Hi ,

This plate has a hole in it so that the EGR can still read the gas and there for keep the light of. The nct test might be a problem sins your co2 reading will be higher.

Martin,

Have you any knowledge as to what reading the co2 may rise to, if its within the required parameters for the test it may solve my problem.

Hi Martin here.

That is very difficult to say one will have to have the car tested, there are many factors that is at play with that reading. Our air cleaner ,spark plugs the state off engine wear even the fuel can make a deference. Lucky for us thy work in a given parameter.I think the fact that vw are selling this plate one can put them in. I'm sure that is worthy of a visit to find out more we in South Africa do not have such strick law enforcement as yet so I cannot relay find out here.I did look on the internet but they do not say there.

Hi Martin here,

This I think is more the answer you are looking for. A car uses 21 parts of air for every one part of fuel, which equates to 1,02% at 750rpm.

I have forwarded your answer to my mechanic and i await his reply. He is speaking to a VW expert in respect of same.

Hi Martin here,

Waiting in anticipation.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Sorry Martin but i have been away for some time and did not get a chance to reply to you. The car remains at the garage, the VW dealers have never come across the part mentioned by you nor have they ever sold one according to the store assistant spoken to.We have also spoken with a V W mechanis and he also has never come acrossthis part or indeed this problem. Where do i go now.

Regards

Hi Martin here.

To view a picture of the plate which I am talking about go to website

www.z22se.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2880

This website also supplies the part number 24575592, which I gave you.

Sorry Martin but just to let you know that that i got the part on the inter net and had it fitted, it made no difference what so ever again blowing out the EGR valve. The car remains in the garage now since October last. My mechanic is talking about a change of engine saying that it is possible that there is a port blocked or something like that.Should i forget about it and write it off.

Regards

Declan

VW Mechanic: Martin, auto electrical replied 6 years ago

Hi Martin here,

Had no idea that your car's engine was that far gone, Cant understand what port the mac is talking about but why cant that not be clean or the engine be overhauled.

Martin, auto electrical