VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

1999 golf gti: pedal..my steering wheel vibrates..pulling..coil…

Customer Question
my 1999 golf gti is...
my 1999 golf gti is very slow going up hills it takes about 20 secs to relise my foot is on the pedal right too the floor its very sluggish then it takes off my steering wheel vibrates ive had air flow meter replaced which helped a little my mechanic said about pulling out each coil one by one to see if that is the problem
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
6/30/2010
VW Mechanic: Brian, VW Technician replied 8 years ago
Brian
Brian, VW Technician

Hi and welcome. This is usually a sign off a clogged fuel filter.if you have already replaced it is there any codes?

Thanks

Brian

Brian
Brian, VW Technician
no have replaced air flow meter what signs would your car display if the fuel filter was clogged. and how do you fix problem car has to go through mot next month will not pass the way it is now

no power up hill is a sign of clogged fuel filter I would replace this.

Thanks

Brian

how much will that cost to replace and fit?when I start her up there is a smell of petrol
did i mention she was a mark 4 golf one of the early onesCool
thanks
claire

filter is about $18 ,about 1/2 labor. smell of fuel could mean car is getting to much fuel causing a rich condition.

Thanks

Brian

there is also a screetching noise when i turn engine on was told i could replace it but would start again dirt in the starter and its using alot of fuel bought it off a fella who lost his licence so it had been sitting in drive way unused for months could this have led to blockage
thanks
claire

could have gotten blockage from sitting. the screech is the started missing this may get better but if it doesn't you will need to replace could damage flywheel.

Thanks

Brian