VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

driven the van a bit and I am getting some louder noises..valves…

Customer Question
Hello, It's Hal again... I now...
Hello, It's Hal again...

I now have driven the van a bit and I am getting some louder noises from the engine. would it be a reasonable expectation to have to go back in and readjust the valves after 50 miles or so? or is this indicative of a different problem? Also, running very hot after a commercial coolant system fluch and fill. would this need to be bleed after this operation?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
6/30/2010
VW Mechanic: 071TCB, VW Mechanic replied 8 years ago
071TCB
071TCB, VW Mechanic
Hi Hal,

Once the valves are set, they shouldn't need re-adjusting for quite some time (if at all, not
until the next head gasket job). What kind of noise? Like lifter rattle?

Oil light blinking when it is not supposed to?

If the commercial flush was done right, then there should not be an issue with having
to re-bleed... how dirty/old was the coolant when you initially replaced the heads?

If there was a lot of old coolant, a power flush could have loosened debris that is now
causing coolant circulation problems... just a guess and a possibility, but I can't be sure.

How old is the thermostat?

You can follow the hoses from the engine to the radiator... feel the hoses every foot until
you get to the front. Check for sudden cold/cool spots, same with the radiator (remove the
grill) and touch all over the radiator. It needs to get warm all over.

Thomas

bled the cooling system twice and got a result, drove 600 miles to Montana and had no problems. definitely still a little noisy, but on the return trip had an overheat (before the pass, still on fairly level ground) and opened up the cap and sprayed everywhere. doesn't seem to be passing through to the overflow reservoir. replaced coolant and drove on..did OK over the passes, but needed to turn on the heat every now and then to bring it down.

replace thermostat?
bleed again?
flush again?

replace filler cap with over flow valve?
Hi Hal,

If the thermostat is more than 5 years old, replace it.... before you install a new thermostat, you
can test the old one by boiling some water and placing the thermostat in it (large plastic
container). Monitor the opening of the thermostat... if the diaphragm does not open enough
this can cause hot running issues.

Do you know how many speeds your radiator fan has? Do you hear low speed come on
between mid to 3/4 of the temp needle travel? If you only hear the high speed when the
needle gets to 3/4+, then maybe you need a new fan switch (lower grill, right hand side).

If the van overheats while driving (lots of air flow through the grill), it's not so much a rad
fan issue, but more likely thermostat or radiator (blockage).

A hot cooling system will retain 15psi... the cap shouldn't vent until 18+ psi into the
license plate reservoir... so I don't think you have a cap venting problem.

Never open a cooling system when warm & the hoses feel solid.
Oops... forgot to add that you should test the new thermostat as well before installing!

I have had many thermostats new out of the box that did not open far enough.
yeh, I got the never open the cooling system lesson....here's another detail... I am not hearing the fan come on when I stop and it's hot.... the fuses look ok, but...could the sensor be f-ed up?
Remove the lower grill and find the sensor.

Remove the harness plug of the sensor and then bridge the outer terminals to get high
speed, bridge one of the outer and the inner to get low speed.

If it only has two pins/wires, just bridge those.

If nothing happens, check to make sure that one of those wires has power... if not, you'll
have to trace the power from the fuse box to the sensor harness plug.

If the speeds work when the harness plug is bridged... replace the sensor and see if things
improve.

The fan doesn't always have to come on as soon as the vehicle is stopped or shut off. It
could come on 2 to 5 min after you walk away... as the sensor gets hot from the coolant no
longer circulating.