VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2002 Cabrio: no dtcs...rear windows..it rained..next morning…

Customer Question
2002 Cabrio will not turn...
2002 Cabrio will not turn over. No DTC's. Windows DS front and rear PS rear windows were left down overnight and it rained for 30 minutes or so car was dry the next morning. Alarm code had to be put in radio everything works on dash getting 12.5v at solenoid when key is turned but nothing happens. Please help!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
6/28/2010
VW Mechanic: chris, Expert VW technician replied 8 years ago
chris
chris, Expert VW technician
I would check all the fuses, but if you are getting 12.5 volts at the starter when you turn the key and the starter is not turning then you have a bad starter and the window being down are just a coincidence.
There were no blown fuses I also confirmed that the load reduction relay is functioning properly. Could the 01M transmission computer have gotten wet the car was parked on a slant with the Driver Side being down hill. Also my wife tells me the car had started then died then restarted earlier in the day? How do i test to see the starter? Could it be the ignition module? Also I ruled out the immoblilizer. thanks for your help.
Easiest way to check the starter would be to jump battery voltage directly to it and see if it spins. As far as the electronics if you are able to access a scantool and check for faults in the computer that would be a good place to start. When you just turn the key to the on position not cranking but just on does the check engine light come on on the dash?
Yes check engine light comes on but I did run scan tool and it showed no DTC's. also which nut on solenoid should I jump to pos bat terminal. Thanks very much.
Jump to the one that has a thick red cable going to it.
Thanks i will check that. The car is not here i will go check it and if that is it I will gladly accept your answer thanks again.
okay let me know if you have anymore questions.
chris
chris, Expert VW technician
Replaced starter which was bad but car still will not start ignition switch is activating relays any ideas?
It could be the electrical portion of the ignition switch they go bad all the time.
The electrical portion of the switch doesn't send signal to PNP/starter relay pn 3A0 927 181 in postion 24 on the relay box?
You are getting battery voltage at the starter when you turn the key and it is not cranking?
Okay. When i check the voltage where the two cables connect on the back of the starter my voltmeter reads about 11.5 volts the other bolt on the solenoid is 0. with the key turned the voltage of the connections drops to 7-9 volts and the bolt (connects wire to starter reads 0. I work on cars alot but I got nothing. Any ideas?
Quick question--if you need me to open another question I will--i am getting 12v at ign switch and at wire in start position but only the lower half of the pnp relay is clicking I have installed another one same result is it possible the trans computer got wet? I have a relay by the trans computer? Would this trip a code in DTC's? Thank you
It may not set a code. I would unplug it and check the connector for corrosion.
Relay is for power roof. I have narrowed the problem down to either the neutral position switch or transmission computer. The computer is getting power because the indicator on the dash responses to the shift lever and when i unplug the computer the indicator display goes black. So that would mean the problem is in the switch or the connection between the switch and relay right? Just trying to give you as much information as possible. With the relay cover remove--when the key is turned to the big internal relay clicks this is for the transmission controller and the pnp switch. The little relay at the top which sends the signal to the starter doesn't click. Thanks for all your help I am confident that you will be able to help me solve this and I promise to tip you accordingly. Thanks again Chris.

Gabe

If you can, send me your VIN I will look up a wiring diagram and see what I can find.

3vwdc21v42m806421 thanks
Check pin 8 on the PNP relay for voltage while turning the key to crank.
Reads 9.5v with key in start position the battery is only reading about 11.5v (needs charged)
How many volts are you getting on the big red and black wire on the starter while cranking?
both wires attatched to starter read 9.2-9.4 volts with key turned to start starter does nothing
If you jump battery voltage to the starter does it turn?
if i touch wire to back of solenoid the solenoid clicks but the starter does nothing if i touch wire directly to wire going from solenoid to starter it does nothing
Do you have battery voltage to the supply on the PNP relay?
Pins 2 and 6 are reading 7.5v again battery is very low from being worked on

Have you checked the ignition switch the large red wire on the connector to see if you have voltage there.

hooked battery up to booster box
red wire 12v
red/black with key is start 12v
with key in on all wires read 12v except red/black

Do you think I got a bad starter?
It is looking that way if the starter is getting the signal and not turning I think you may have gotten a bad starter.
Thanks I'll get another starter and let you know.
back to square 1 starter is good .
The red/black wire that plugs in to the starter(i am assuming wire from pin 8 on the pnp relay) is only putting out .75v with key in start from with relay putting out 12v. Is this caused by a broken wire or something else. if broken wire i can just install new wire right? Thanks again.
According to the wire diagram there should be a 2 pin connector behind the fuse box and relay panel. The wires go from the PNP relay to the starter. I do not know exactly where it is but it should not be too far from the fuse box. Check that connector if you find it I would cut the connector off and splice the wires directly to each other, and see if you get the voltage at the starter.
found 2 pin connector at grommet with two red/black wires coming out different gauges the smaller gauge read battery voltage but the larger only .15 to .75 unpluged and tested same results. problem is both plugs appear to be coming in through grommets don't know for sure yet. I think i am going to have to pull the dash apart the wiring is a nightmare on this car. Not organized at all. The plug is so close to the wall I don't know if i have enough room to splice. Do I have the right connector? Which gauge is the starter wire? What does the other wire connect to? No kidding this is a wiring nightmare I feel for you having to mess with these everyday. Last question for tonight....Can I run a wire straight from the relay to the starter?
Yes you can run wire straight from the relay to the starter that would be no problem. The wire should be red and white and on one side of the connector it is 2.5mm goes down to .5mm
the connector has 2 wires in each side right?
the connector has 2 wires in each side right? The wire at connector and starter is red/black. Do I have the right connector?
It sounds like you have the right connectors long as one of the wires is red and black.
yes and one side is thicker than the other? I'll get with you tomorrow if I have any additional questions once I get the the wires apart. What gauge wire should I use?
Use the larger gage wire just to be safe. You definitely have the right connector.
Just curious why do both connectors appear to be coming into the car through grommets and not from the pnp relay? I'll know more when I pull the dash apart.
I wish I could answer for the VW engineers but I can't.
Thanks for all your help
Yeah getting 12.5v at starter from new wire 'll let you know if it doesn't start but no reason to think it won't thanks a million chris.