VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2000 VW: about 45,000 miles on it..hand drive..weather..upon starting…

Customer Question
I have a 2000 VW...
I have a 2000 VW Polo 1.4L. It has about 45,000 miles on it. It is in Bermuda so left hand drive and warm humid environment.

The problem is that when the car is cold (has been sitting overnight in 25 C weather), upon starting this is what happens:
1. Turn the key, the engine starts.
2. As part of the startup sequence, it revs up to about 1200 RPM and then the RPMs start dropping.
3. Over about 3 seconds they drop until they reach about 800RPM, it begins bogging down. Half a second later at about 700RPM it stalls.
4. Starting a second time, and quickly getting it in gear and giving it gas, it will probably stay running and then be fine.
4. If we drive around for a bit, then park, then come back out to the car. It will likely start with no issue.

The problem is basically when it is cold, it does not hold the RPM high enough to keep it from stalling. Starting it with the A/C on high would make the problem worse as it quickly becomes bogged down.

My mechanic has scanned everything and says it's all fine according to the VW scan tool.

The problem can be circumvented by getting in and revving it to about 2000 RPM for 20 seconds or by quickly adding gas as you shift it into reverse (almost like a standard car as you lower the clutch).

I just want the car to be able to hold enough revs to idle when started from cold on its own.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
Answered in 2 days by:
6/30/2010
VW Mechanic: Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Ok has it been checked for vacuum leaks or the throttle position sensor been checked?
I think the vacuum leaks have been checked and a lot of them replaced.

What is the throttle position sensor?
It's actually the a sensor in the throttle body itself and fail and cause these issues. Also has the intake gasket been checked?
"It's actually the a sensor in the throttle body itself and fail and cause these issues."
Wouldn't that show up on the scanner tool though?

How much would it be to replace that in North America?

The mechanic is saying it the immobilizer and he is getting a fault on that but that does not make sense and presumably you could not add gas to prevent the immobilizer from working.

No the immobilizer will only cause the car to stall or not start. The throttle Position sensor which is part of the throttle body will cause this and not always give a code along with a faulty mass air flow sensor . About 500 US new to replace or you can get one used for about 125 from eBay or salvage yard . These are what need to be checked next .

Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
I still do not fully understand why this only happens when the engine is cold? That seems to me something that is related to a temperature sensor.
The mass air sensor and throttle sensor are temperature related also . So if they are reading wrong it will cause this. You can also replace the coolant temp sensor if it's bad it will tell the ECM the wrong temp
of the car and then will affect the other sensors also . These need to be checked next .

Hoped this helped.