VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Jetta: 1.8T..hesitate..tach..most times only for a few seconds…

Customer Question
About four months ago my...
About four months ago my Jetta 1.8T would occasionally hesitate under acceleration, as if starved for fuel. The tach would stay where it hesitated, most times only for a few seconds, but sometimes for longer. I have just under 160,000 kms on my '02. This is not a constant problem as there are times when my car feels as strong or stronger that it did when I bought it. We've twice previously changed the coils {1st time just one that was bumbed and the second time all four}. When this issue arose the local dealer checked out the coils again in conjunction with VW's recall and found no problem with my coils. Contrary to when my coils needed to be replaced the check engine light does not come on when this hesitation occurs. The plugs have been checked {good} and I recently had the fuel filter replaced. Although I found the engine to be stronger after the fuel filter was replaced the hesitation still occurs. My mass air-flow sensor was replaced in Dec/09. What could be causing my problem?
Mark
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2010
VW Mechanic: vwtech0405, VW Technician replied 8 years ago
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Do you have a check engine light on?? or any faults in the ecm even if the lights not on??
No, the check engine lights does not come on. When my coils went, as detailed in my initial explanation, the check engine light came on on both occassions. Further, the feeling of running on less than 4 cylinders and full power persisted until the coil(s) were replaced. Is it not true that many modern cars are "drive-by-wire" including VAG products? I've seen ads for a product that supposedly stregthens the signal between the pedal and the ECU {I assume} and elimates hesitation. Is this a possibility?
How often does this happen?