VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Hi I have a A/C problem with my vw jetta MKIV it runs for…

Hi I have a A/C problem...
Hi
I have a A/C problem with my vw jetta MKIV it runs for about 20 to 25 minutes then there's no air coming tru the vents i have to shut the aircondition off for a couple of minutes then try to switch it back on and see if there's air coming tru if not i have to leave if off for more time
6/27/2010
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Does it not get cold or the blower will not work at all after 20 minutes??
yes it gets cold for about 20 to 25 minutes then there's no more wind coming tru the vents i have to shut off the A/C for a while then turn it back on to see if there's wind coming tru the vent
By wind you mean the blower motor is not working correct??
yes that's exactly what i mean it's not working correct
Ok more then likely you have a blower motor that is cutting out and will need to be replaced this is very common .The blower motor is located behind the glove box you will need to remove the glove box to be able to replace it . I hope this helps.

Please dont forget to click accept for my answer and advice this is the only way i get compensated for my time and knowledge thanks!!
Do you think it could be a electrical problem maybe the regulator is shorting out ?
If it was the blower motor regulator it would only work on setting #1 or #4 you can check it while your there looking at the blower motor make sure the wires are not getting hot at the connector . I hope this helps.

vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Hi
I changed the blower motor and it's still doing the same thing , so what should i do ?
Hi I changed the blower motor and it's still doing the same thing , so what should i do ?
Do you have the digital climatronic unit??
what is that ?
the digital display where you turn on the ac??
YES I DO HAVE THAT ?
Does it ever blink when the vehicle is first turned on?
SORRY ABOUT THAT I DONT HAVE A DIGITAL DISPLAY WHERE I TURN THE A/C ON
Ok the next step will need to check the resistor have you checked this yet ? its the blower motor resistor?
well now that i changed the blower motor i was thinking that it's the resistor but i don know how to check it i think that maybe the wires get hot but i dont know how to check the resistor
Look a the wires and see if the have got hot at all make sure you have power at the resistor when this happens if you do and you still have nothing blowing out of the vents then you know its the resistor.
So if iunderstand when there is no air coming tru the vents i should check the resistor and see if the wires by the connection or the resistor it self if hot and if one of them are hot then it's the resistor ?
If the wires show any signs of getting hot or melting replace them and the resistor correct
ok I'LL CHECK THAT AND GET back to you if anything
ok
Hi it's me again
I check it and the resistor was hot but the wires that are used for the connection are not so should i change the resistor or not ?
Do you have power coming out to the blower motor from the resistor when is not working??
if i understand your question is when i plug out the blower motor resistor does the blower motor itself still work ?
You need to check power with a test light or a voltmeter at the connector for the blower motor
So i need to plug it out and check and see if there's current coming tru the connector of the blower motor resistor or the blower motor ?
trough the resistor
so which color wire is the hot wire ?
i have to look at the wiring diagram when i get home
Well when you do can you get back to me please so that i dont make any mistakes this time on what i will be purchasing ?
Hi
You never got back to me with the wiring diagram so i went ahead and bought the blower motor resistor and i changed it and the A\C is still doing the same thing but i notice something today when i park up and i open the hood to see what was going on when it stop working i saw the line way u put the freeon frozen up and when i let it defrost and put the AC on 2 it started back cooling again
SO WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST ME DOING NOW ?
Sorry about the delay it totally slipped my mind you stated that the air does not blow trough the vents when this happens does it not blow or it just blows hot??
it does not blow
Have you checked the freon levels when this happens and the vehicle is running??
well i didnt check the freon level because it blows cold .
What do you mean by if the vehicule is running if eventhough it has that problem if it still works ?
Yeah but since you stated the line is getting frozen up i want to know if there a pressure change when this is going on you may have a blockage in the system like a expansion valve but its hard to say with out watching the pressures with the car running
oh ok well yes it's happenning when the vehicule is running
yes but i need the pressure readings??
the pressure reading coming from the A\C line ?
you need it with the A\C BOTTLE ON OR OFF
What bottle dont tell me your fillng the ac system with the can bottle from the auto parts store???
What bottle dont tell me your filling the ac system with the can bottle from the auto parts store???
no i'm talking about the refregirant R34 ?
And i'm not filling it
So you just need me to chech how much PSI right ?
Yeah what are your pressures using ac pressure gages the high and the low side while the vehicle is running??
ok i'll check it and get back to you
OK
Hi
All i have is the cord for when you recharge the freon will that do it ?
No that will not read the pressures
Well i dont have the proper tool to get that reading for you .
Is there any other way of checking this out ?
No there is no other way sorry
ok thank you i'll just carry it by the dealer thanks
Sorry