VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Ive got a 2.0L 1999 A3 Jetta and suspect I have a bad ignition…

Customer Question
I've got a 2.0L 1999...
I've got a 2.0L 1999 A3 Jetta and suspect I have a bad ignition coil. The coil is a TEMIC TFK 311354, VW p/n 6N0 905 104.) With the module out of the car, using a multimeter, I am getting continuity between each of the three terminals and ground/the case. Any way of checking that the module is working properly? Thanks, Doug
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
6/26/2010
VW Mechanic: 071TCB, VW Mechanic replied 8 years ago
071TCB
071TCB, VW Mechanic

The Power Output Stage (module) that is mounted to the coil, gets a ground signal from
the ECM at the center harness plug pin to fire the coil.

Verify that you have power & ground across the "outer two pins" of the harness plug.

Attach a test light across the center pin & one of the outer pins (#3)... while cranking
the engine, the light should flicker, indicating that the ECM is supplying ground.

graphic

If the light flickers, but you do not get spark when the plug is attached to the coil, then the
coil (or the power output stage) is no good.

If the light does not flicker when you are cranking, it could be that your engine/rpm speed
sensor is no good.

Don't accept unless you found the information helpful... if you do accept but have further
questions, post them here so that we can continue the conversation.

Thomas
071TCB
071TCB, VW Mechanic
I'm new here and could use feedback on my help.... if you have time.

I'd like to know if my input was worded such that it made sense to you (as I don't know
other peoples automotive skills).

If you were satisfied, if you don't mind, accepting the answer would adjust my statistics to
help verify my advise (to future participants) is trust worthy.

If you need further assistance, feel free to continue posting to this topic.

Have a good day,

Thomas

Thomas,

I ended up getting stranded again this weekend and had to have the vehicle towed. I wasn't able to perform your checks, but it turned out that the coil was in fact bad. It cost me $275 at the dealer (which kills me, because I could have replaced it myself for $65...) but I needed the car. So, I was never able to check your suggestions. On my own I had checked the continuity between all the pins to each other and all 3 had continuity, so I don't know what that means. It did have a spark, at time but was very weak... Thanks for your help.

Doug

P.S. I will be asking you another question concerning my a/c compressor

At least you'll have a receipt & warranty with the dealer coil... if it were to blow again.

Didn't get to the other question in time... just the same, as we don't service A/C at our
shop (boss has his reasons).

Check the A/C pipes going to the firewall, one should feel warm the other cold when the
A/C is on.

If yes, then the heater flaps in side the car are not directing the air correctly over the cold
element... if no heat difference, then you've got a compressor or charge issue.

Thomas