VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

1991 VW Passat: engine code letters..Diesel engine..no owners manual…

Where do I find the...
Where do I find the engine code letters for 1991 VW Passat Diesel engine,,There is no car here to look into the boot, there is no owners manual to look into either, just a used engine. Is it marked on the engine any where if so where?
CD Wetzel
6/26/2010
Amedee
Amedee, VW Technician
Hello!

The engine code letters are usually located on the top part of the timing cover. Also, sometimes they are stamped on the sticker under the hood.

On the top timing cover it has the VW logo and the aoiu logo with "W-Germany" than "DVP" than "068109123G" Is this the engine code?

I don't believe so but I could be wrong.

HEre is a link to a web site that talks about finding engine codes on VW's

http://www.blauparts.com/vw/vw_engine_code/how_to_find_vw_engine_code.shtml

IN addition, here is some info about the VIN number.

graphic
Here is another site that talks about finding VW engine code numbers.

http://www.lowmileageengines.com/engine_blog/how-do-i-find-my-audi-or-volkswagen-engine-code

on the bottom half of the timing cover there is another set of letters and #'s they go like this----"MHO",,028 109 127----------the next set goes like this---29 002 00 929,,Germany. Does this make any sence??
NO... not to me.

If you know that it is a 1.6 diesel engine, why are you looking for the engine code numbers?
I need the code ID to buy the correct timing belt tools, if I get the wrong ones the timing performance could suffer.
Sorry for the delay!

I will leave this question open.
071TCB
071TCB, VW Mechanic
On the front side of the engine block, just below the head gasket, there should be a
flattened area of block that has some "stampings". You may have to use a brush or
rag to remove the accumulated dirt, so that you can see the stampings.

Diesel engines of that vintage were stamped MF or ME.

Is this a non North American Market Import?

To do a timing belt on the older diesels, you just need the diesel pump lock (pin) and the
camshaft lock tool.... to be 100% sure that the timing is correct after t-belt install, you will
need a dial indicator & adapter, to be inserted at the back of the injection pump for timing
verification.

Don't accept unless you found this advice helpful, if you do accept and have further
questions... simply continue posting to this topic.

Thomas
Thomas, I have gone over the block area, what I have is a very small channel that I can see under the bracket plates, but I don't see any stamping,,all this means is I will have to remove all the front gear, without locking it down, to check for stampings on the front of the block,,not my first choice. On the right side of the block near the rear there is a block casting that shows "Germany" and under this word "1.6 D". Also on the left side of the block there is another casting that shows "0684030214N" under this in larger print is "LPH D 10" under this "21 5 91".. What keeps showing up here is the letter "D".. Now I know you said look for MF or ME but I can't find any markings, castings or stampings, showing this MF or ME, the only thing close is on the Cam shaft pulley showing "MWU"
Sorry about the late reply... was at the gym.

In my neck of the woods, the 1991 (B3 platform Passat) never had the Diesel option... that's
why I suggested MF & ME as being a possibility.

Here's a picture out of a Bentley Repair Manual for the A2 Platform vehicles, listing Diesel
Engine Codes for 1985 to 1992... I actually forgot to list 1V.

graphic

Again, if it is one of these old Diesel's, then all you would need is the tools I mentioned in
the last post.

I'm on vacation for the next week, so I don't have access to all the tech info that I have
at work... but I'll see what I can find.

The numbers & letters you've listed are all part numbers, casting dates and codes, but I
don't recognize any as Engine Codes.

I'll see what else I can find... hang tight.

Thomas

Thomas,, I FOUND IT ,, finding engine codes, fig.1-4

IT's "SB 214824"... A though, does this mean this engine is a 1985/86 ???

Thank You,, CD Wetzel

LOL... I was just gonna post a reply when your reply came in!

I found SB & RA as being Turbo Diesel Engines in the European Market Passat.

So yes, SB is it! Laughing

Could still be for a 1991, as the catalog I searched in listed it under 1991.

Thomas
071TCB
071TCB, VW Mechanic
Thanks for accepting CD!

Can you post a picture of the engine bay? I've never seen a 1991 Passat Diesel.

Thomas