VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2002 vw passat: 2.8 liter v-6, ATQ motor..spark plugs..coil pack…

Customer Question
2002 vw passat wagon with...
2002 vw passat wagon with 2.8 liter v-6, ATQ motor. The spark plugs, ignition wires and coil pack have been replaced in the last 9 months and the plugs just 2 weeks ago with Bosch dual contact platinum. My wife would on occasion get a check and the code was p0305. I replaced the plugs and checked the wires and drove the car during all this week 72 miles round trip to work and the car was fine. Today in hotter weather and higher highway speeds and then getting into stop and go traffic on acceleration I noticed a missfire, the check engine lamp blinked on and off then the car started stumbling on acceleration. Got home and again got code p0305. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
6/25/2010
VW Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

Ron :

If you are sure the new plugs and wire are not defective and installed correctely ,I would start with swaping the #5 coil with the #6 coil and see if the miss moves, if it does replace the faulty coil.

Customer:

the car runs perfectly w/o a miss. please read the text completely.

Ron :

I did read the text, Today in hotter weather and higher highway speeds and then getting into stop and go traffic on acceleration I noticed a missfire, the check engine lamp blinked on and off then the car started stumbling on acceleration. Got home and again got code p0305. This is just how a bad coil would perform, it easy enough to swap them around and find out.

Customer:

It is a ATQ v-6 and it has a single coil pack that was replaced September of last year by a VW dealer

Customer:

I also swapped No's 4 and 5 wires

Ron :

If that is the case, I would go back and recheck the spark plug and wire on the #5 cylinder. Try swapping the spark plugs as well.

Customer:

The plugs were just replaced last Saturday with new

Customer:

Chevron Techtron was added for the last 2 tankfulls of Shell Premium

Ron :

I would still go back and recheck them , I dont suspect its a fuel issue.