VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

98 VW Golf: 2.0L..It cranks fine but will not start

Customer Question
I have a 98 VW...
I have a 98 VW Golf 2.0L that does not want to start. It cranks fine but will not start. At first it wouldn't start every couple of days, now it only starts, it seems, when it feels like it. When it does start, it runs fine and will start all day long. It is currently at a local shop for repair - they said there was no voltage to the fuel pump relay but other than that they can't rectify the problem and that I shouldn't let them throw parts at it trying to fix a fault that they can't locate. I will verify the lack of voltage myself. Aren't all the fuses and relays on a common electrical bus? Any help or stray thoughts would be appreciated - before i take a sledgehammer to it.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
6/26/2010
VW Mechanic: Amedee, VW Technician replied 8 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, VW Technician
Hello!

When your car is cranking over and is not starting, we will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

A simpler test would be to see if it runs on starting fluid. If it does, then you know you have spark and compression and you simply have a fuel delivery problem

Hello Amedee,

According to the people who were working on my VW, there is no spark and no fuel. This was tested both at the fuel pump and ignition coil, also at their respective relays. Sounds like a loose wire somewhere because sometimes it will start and sometimes it won't. The vehicle is now in my possession again because they could not fix it.

Hello!

So you mean no spark and no fuel presure correct? DO we have power to the fuel pump?

WHat about injector pulse? Have we checked fuel trigger when cranking with a noid light?

hi,

There is no fuel pressure and no power to the fuel pump from the relay, there is also no power to the relay.

I do not have a noid light.

Anything that needs electric during the starting process is not getting it.

AAHH!

This is now all making sense!

Thanks for the info!

What about the fuses inside the vehicle when this happens? DO we have power to the fuses inside the vehicle when the engine does not start?

Does the check engine light come on with the key in the on position when this no start condition occurs?

Yes the engine light comes on. There is power to the fuses, but not all of them . Fuse 18 is dead but not blown and the relay for the fuel pump is dead.

Does this help?

Da vid

Ok.. good!

WHat fuses DO NOT have power to them with the key on? I will get you a wiring diagram for these circuits.