VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

got a 1979 vw bug. it is sputtering and will only do about…

Customer Question
got a 1979 vw bug...
got a 1979 vw bug. it is sputtering and will only do about 20 mph. just had the fuel pump replaced and has new fuel lines as well. think it could be the fuel filter. got one at a import shop. now i cant figure out the location to replace it at. know where it is located? its not in any of the spots i thought. lokked over distributer cap,looked under car next to the pump, looked everywhere.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
6/25/2010
VW Mechanic: lnsmman58, Auto Body Repairer replied 8 years ago
lnsmman58
lnsmman58, Auto Body Repairer

Hello I'm Scott,

I think I can help you out here. I'm assuming this is fuel injected. I have a schematic of the vehicles fuel system. Let me know if this is what you are looking for?

graphic

Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I already looked in the place shown on the schematic you sent, it isn't there.
didnt find it. the schematic shows that i is located near teh front axle, im not seeing anything that looks like it at all. im wondering if when they replaced the fuel pump if they remove it and never put back another. i see the fuel pump they replaced,there is no fuel filter what should i do. do you think this could be the problem that is making the car sputter? i mean the fuel filter being dirty. and also i cant understand why i cant find it. i know your not here to see but im at a loss for solutions. more help please.
so this is fuel injected?
to go further here, I would think it had a filter somewhere and it being plugged can make for symptoms like you are experiencing. so is this fuel injected?
yes it is fuel injected. i am seeing a place in the hose where there may have been a fuel filter before. the hose has a coupler that is joining the hose together and is clamped to the coupler. i think maybe the people that worked on it may have taken the feul filter out and not installed a new one. it should be very obvious to find? shouldnt it? if so i'm thinking about putting this fuel filter there at the coupler and flushing out the fuel injecters with some cleaner. what do you think?
If you can see where.it should be then yes install one. And I think a.fuel treatments would be a good place start. I'm out camping, keep me informed.