VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

97 jetta: stero..fine till..car it wont start..new battery thinking…

Customer Question
I just recently installed a...
I just recently installed a new stero in my 97 jetta. It worked perfectly fine till then but now every time i try to start the car it wont start. I put a new battery thinking that was the problem and that didnt work. The weird thing is maybe like once out of every 10 tries it will start and work perfectly fine. I think it might have something to do with the security cause the alarm has gone off a few times too. also i have just a cheep generic key in it im not sure if this model uses a chip or not.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
6/25/2010
VW Mechanic: 071TCB, VW Mechanic replied 8 years ago
071TCB
071TCB, VW Mechanic

Did this starting problem happen as soon as the radio was installed or did it happen some
time later?

The usual suspects for no starts are:

- the ignition switch
- the alarm module
- the starter

I can guide you through the testing/bypassing of components to see where the problem is.
it happend right after i put the stereo in. i dont no if this makes any difference but my friend and I tested the spark plugs and when it didnt start there was no spark getting to the plugs. Again i dont no if that makes any differnce but im just tryin to let you know everything that I do. also when i go to set the alarm the red light by the lock on drivers door the light never turns on.

Thanks,
Tyler
Sorry about the late reply... I'm on holiday and slept-in a bit today. Also just found out that
we're taking a day trip with our visitors today, so will not have time to post much today.

The alarm system monitors whether or not the radio is attached... installing an after
market radio, which does not indicate that a radio is attached, will cause the alarm module
to think that the radio was stolen.

I don't have my wiring diagram's/info at home... but I believe that it is a brown & white wire
that needs to be grounded for the alarm to work correctly (and the vehicle to crank).

Thomas
Got back early... if the engine cranks (turns over), but does not start (run), then the alarm
is not at fault (the alarm prevents cranking).

The br/white wire to the radio is a ground signal to the alarm that is wired in parallel with
the hood switch, so that the alarm knows the radio is on.

Here is a radio installation guide that might help you double check your install.

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/VW/PDF/890005.pdf

Let me know if the engine cranks or not when you turn the key to start.