VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My 2004 Passat TDI has been in 3 shops for months and nobody…

Customer Question
My 2004 Passat TDI has...
My 2004 Passat TDI has been in 3 shops for months and nobody can peg problem. Starts and runs ok under light load (slow acceleration). If you accelerate hard it “bucks” and looses power. If you get it there it caps out about 4000rpm and won’t go any higher. Computers do not show a problem.

Most focus on injectors but not sure. One shop put a pressure gauge and measured 10 psi idle and 5 psi driving. They think that is too low but not sure why.

My cell XXX-XXX-XXXX
Charles Wilmut
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
6/24/2010
VW Mechanic: Volkswagen expert, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Volkswagen expert
Volkswagen expert, ASE Certified Technician
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have found that the most common cause for this problem is in the intake manifold that is fouled with carbon , or a faulty mass airflow sensor Check the intake manifold for excessive carbon buildup and clean as necessary. Remove the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve to gain access and inspect the passages.

I appreciate your response but I ran it by two of the three shops that it has been sitting in for months and the tell me they checked that and that it is not the problem.

Got any other ideas?

Checked for any air leaks in the fuel system if you find no air bubbles in the fuel supply then you most likely have a faulty fuel injection pump