VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

2003 VW Golf TDI: my ac does not seem to work..electrical..Relays

I havea 2003 VW Golf...
I havea 2003 VW Golf TDI and my AC does not seem to work anymore. I tried filling it with 134R but it appears to be full. My neighbor who is a mechanic but not a VW mechanic seems to think its something electrical and possibly Relays but we can not find them. Any idea wherethey are located please. Also any other suggestions? we checked the fuses and they are all ok. Thank you
6/22/2010
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Ok lets start by checking to see if the engine fans come on high when the ac is turned on??
they do not, the clutch does not seem to kick on either. I am told there is nothing wrong with the compressor but I am at a loss. If it makes any other difference the oddest thing of all is when i hit the recycle button next to the AC button my brake light comes on????
Ok the reason the brake light comes on when the recirculation button is pressed is because there is a blown fuse this will take care of your issue please check all your fuses first more then likely you have one fuse blown fix this issue first and then see if your clutch and fans work and the brake light does not come on when the button is pressed. I hope this helps.

Please dont forget to click accept for my time and knowledge this is the only way i get compensated for my time !

vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
I have checked all the fuses in the fuse box and none of them are blown. Is there possibly another fuse somewhere other than the main fuse box next to my driver side door? Also a bad Relay switch would not cause the same thing?? I am not a mechanic in anyway shape or fomr jsut going by what people have said to me :)
Its not a bad relay are you sure you checked all the fuses with a test light make sure you have power on both sides of the fuse i believe it was a small one of the fuses that caused this issue with the brake light coming up .
I will check them again tomorrow in the day light :) Thank you for your help!
No problem please let me know if you need anymore help tomorrow

There was in fact a blown fuse and I replaced it. It took care of the brake light problem in which in came on when I hit the re circulate button but the fans still will not come on. I drove 140 miles straight today and neither of the fans came on once. I am at a total loss. If you would not mind any suggestions please. Also there is 4 or 5 wires running to above the battery where there are 3 more fuses located. The fuses are find but 2 of those wires are EXTREMELY HOT! Any input is much appreciated.

Thank you

Bob

Look where those wires go there is small strip fuses there make sure those are not blown they are strip fuses not normal fuses

the ones in the little black box that sits on top of the battery?? if so they are not blown. There is 4 wires running ot that box. 1 black one(nut is plain), 1 red one that is a little on the thick side(blue paint swab on nut) and than a skinnier wire that is red with black stripe(blue paint swab on nut) and than a skinnier red wire(white paint swab on nut). the 2 wires with the blue paint swab on the nuts are very hot.

I just do not understand why the fans wont kick on. They have nothing to do with the compressor correct?

The fans have to be running on high for the fan clutch on the compressor to come on thats why your clutch will not work. Here is a picture below please tell me what wires are getting hot and there is more then the 3 30 amp fuses on there look at a fuse like s177 make sure all those are ok too.

graphic

Thanks again for responding, I had it taken to a shop and it appears that the Coolant Fan control Module is bad. Atleast we are hoping that is it. All fuses were ok. I jsut have to wait for the part to come in than I can get it installed and hopefully have air again. Thank you for your help!

your welcome good luck
vwtech0405
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician