VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

jetta: getting codes for the crank sensor...timing bet..distributer…

Customer Question
I am having issue with...
I am having issue with a 1994 2.0 jetta, most of the time it will not start and when it does it runs for a short time and stops. I had been getting codes for the crank sensor. The timing bet has been replaced along with the distributer and hal sensor. To further make it confusing I have to jumper the fuel pump relay to start the fuel pump. I checked the relay and it works, but when testing the control curcuit for the relay it is dead. I have been unable to locate a diagram that shows what supplies power to this curciut. I am stuck with wondering if it is the ignition, or if the engine computer are failing.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
6/21/2010
VW Mechanic: Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Does it loose spark or fuel when this happens?

There is no signal, voltage, to the fuel relay under the dash, I can jumper the relay and the fuel pump starts and pressure is good at the rail. As long as I jumper the relay I have good fuel. But problem remains that the relay is not being told to turn on.

When started after jumpering the fuel relay the car will run. When it starts, I get a good spark (tester inserted inline between coil and cap), it runs for a few minuetes and then dies. If I try to restart it, I get no spark when I crank it over. If I leave it off for a while and come back it will restart.

When it runs sounds great idles for a few minuets and then just dies. After It dies I verify that the fuel pressure is still good and the fuel pump is still running.

Can't find a drawing that shows where control power comes from for the fuel pump relay (Ignition, ECU)

Have you replaced the crank sensor this will affect the entire circuit.What was the exact code number?

Yes, The crank sensor was replaced, part of new distributer assembly including cap and rotor, because it had been pulling the code for a while. Have the number written somewhere. The dealership pulled the code and advised me it was either the timing belt being worn/loose or the sensor. Haven't reset codes yet, but when It runs It is running much better then before. Ah here are the codes 00515 camshaft position sensor, 00513 no signal for engine speed sensor. I will reset the codes.

Not sure how the crank position sensor (hal sensor) would keep fuel pump relay from reciving control power to start the pump?

Crank sensor is not part of the distributer. Cam hall sensor is .Need to check crank sensor and also power relay under dash fuse box.