VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

1981 vw: van 2.0 ltr engine..purge the air?the engine starts,fires…

Customer Question
1981 vw van 2.0 ltr...
1981 vw van 2.0 ltr engine ran yesterday started to choke, but seemed to fire, intermitedly,I thought the engine was starving for fuel, replaced the the filter?do I have to purge the air?the engine starts,fires fine but dies imediatley,have tried to start at least 10 tiimes,fires but dies?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
6/21/2010
VW Mechanic: 071TCB, VW Mechanic replied 8 years ago
071TCB
071TCB, VW Mechanic

No, you shouldn't have to purge the air... a good fuel pump will push the air through the system and back into the tank via the fuel pressure regulator return hose.

The van stalled/is not starting because of a few possibilities.

- lack of fuel pressure
- missing injector pulse
- improper Air Flow Meter Input to the Engine Computer (ECM)

The "starts but dies" is most likely due to the small amount of fuel that the engine receives
from the "cold start valve" that allows fuel into the intake system while the engine is cranking.

First, remove the engine cover and look for any "Air Hoses" that are not attached or look
like they might be not sitting correctly.

Your Van's fuel injection system is based on Air Flow... if the ECM does not get the correct
air flow signal, it is not able to match the correct amount of fuel that should enter the engine.

If all hoses are attached correctly, I would want to make sure that fuel pressure is OK.

You will need to either attach a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail test port or at minimum
measure the amount of fuel that comes out of the test port within a 30 second time span.

The test port is located on the #3 & #4 fuel injector rail... it is a small metal pipe that is
capped off with a 7mm hex head bolt. Remove the small bolt and attach a suitable long
hose to it for testing purposes.

Place open end of the hose in a clear plastic container, with which you can see/monitor
the flow of gas going into it.

Loosen the air flow meter mounting clap where it is attached on the big intake tube. Un-clip
the air filter box clamp that secures the housing to the chassis (top right of the box).

Lift the assembly out of the intake boot just far enough so that you can get your fingers
inside the air flow meter to move the flap.

With the ignition ON (do not crank engine), move the air flow meter flap with your finger. You
should hear the fuel rushing through the fuel rails and see it coming out of the hose that
you attached to the fuel rail.

In a 30 second time span, a good fuel pump should be able to supply at least 1/2qt or 500ml
of fuel.

We know that your ignition system should be OK, as the engine runs for a brief second
or so.

Let me know what you find with the air intake hoses & fuel supply and we can continue
with other tests.

Thomas

I'm new here and could use feedback on my help to you.... if you have time.

I'd like to know if my input was worded such that it made sense to you (as I don't know
other peoples automotive skills).

If you were satisfied, if you don't mind, accepting the answer would adjust my statistics to
help verify my advise (to future participants) is trust worthy.

If you need more assistance, feel free to continue posting questions to this topic.

Have a good day,

Thomas
i took it to some one, i trust,halsey automotive,it was the ignition switch,i geuss looking for a cheap solution,cost me ,only 15.00, i wont make this mistake again.the web cant solve problems,it only creates more...
"halsey automotive" had the pleasure of having the car in front of them... I can only
suggest what I feel "could" be the cause or a solution, from the facts provided.

Sorry that my advice did not help you solve/find the problem.

$7.50 is what was my cut of the $15 (if that makes you feel better).

Thomas
I just double checked my "accepts" seems that you had not accepted... so I never took
a hold of any Money.