VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

ram 2500: my clutch..slowing down..clutch engaged..gas it goes away…

Customer Question
i have a squeal coming...
i have a squeal coming from my clutch i think. it happens when im slowing down with the clutch engaged and at low rpm 2500. I also notice it when turning, but when i press the gas it goes away. The shifting of gears is very smooth and no grinding or hesitation. I read i might need to grease the cables ? It just started to happen.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
6/17/2010
VW Mechanic: vwtech0405, VW Technician replied 8 years ago
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

More then likely the noise you are hearing it the throw out bearing in the bell housing they will make noise when they are starting to go bad but no way to see this without removing the transmission . I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!
does the engine or transmission need to be taken out to access the throw bearing ? Would this part go bad before the cluch ? Should both be replaced if one is bad ?
The transmission will need to be removed to replaced the throw out bearing while you are already there you should replace both items the clutch disc and the throw out bearing. I hope this helps.

Is there anything i can check, adjust or lubricate to help verify the problem ? It just happened over night, one day fine next day squeals . I also washed my car and rims the night before this happened at home. the sound is a mix of a "low brake tab squeal "sound at higher speeds and a " peddle bike brake squeal ( rubber on metal) when slowing down under 20 mph with the clutch in
Does it make the noise when the clutch pedal is depressed??
yes it seems to just at the point of a complete stop though
I also just noticed it made the noise while in neutral and clutch not pressed
can you describe the noise more in detail just to make sure because its hard for us to diagnose noises without hearing them.thanks
Afer driving the car a bit more i have more info for you. The metal screaching sound i noticible when slowing down or trurning. i can be coasting in neautral and still here the sound. Also at hwy speeds if i let off the gas slightly. when i press the gas the sound goes away. I dont think its anything clutch related, but more break related. the car has newer pads %90 and rotors look good, no vibration or pulling when breaking. I have taken offew the calipers and cleaned and greased required areas and added anti break squeal to the back side of the pads. The noise is still the same. Im wondering if there are cheap pads on the vehicle Could it be a wheel bearing ? I tried to shake the wheel for play but everything is tight and tire spins freely when off the ground. I hope this helps as am really at a loss here .
Ok this is what you will need to do next because its going to be hard for you to hear the noise while driving i dont think its brake related what i recommend you do is raise the vehicle but you will need a lift to do this raise the vehicle and drive the vehicle on the lift be careful make sure the vehicle is secure on the lift and in the air with the vehicle in the air you should be able to hear your noise i still think its a transmission area noise. I hope all this info has helped please dont forget to click ACCEPT for my time and knowledge thanks!!