VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

1997 Golf: petrol..It keeps cutting..Temperature..runs perfect…

Customer Question
I have a 1997 Golf...
I have a 1997 Golf (petrol) It keeps cutting out, no coughing or spluttering it happens at anytime. Temperature does not seem to matter it happens hot or cold. You have to weight a couple of minutes then it will start not a problem runs perfect it just cuts out at random. It has cost me $500 ln repairs the mechanic said nothing shows up on the scan they also thought it was the ignition switch but it cut while driving home after they fixed it. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Gary
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
6/17/2010
VW Mechanic: Brian, VW Technician replied 8 years ago
Brian
Brian, VW Technician

Hi and welcome . could you give me a list o repairs you have preformed already?

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian,
Carburetor cleaned
Tune up
Replaced ignition switch
New battery put in

The car runs perfectly but cuts out at random (like its being immobilised). Then after waiting 2-3 mins, it starts with no problems.

Thanks,
Gary

This sounds like the distributor very common with VW. To diagnoses when it happens again you wound need to check for spark. If you have any further questions let me know.

Thanks

Brian