VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My fans arent coming on. I have a 2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8l Turbo.

Customer Question
My fans aren't coming on...
My fans aren't coming on. I have a 2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8l Turbo. I replaced the engine temp sensor but the fans aren't kicking on. The A/C compressor isn't either. Engine gets hot then boils and steams out of the coolant reservoir. Are there any fan relays or fuses I should check. What are my steps to get the fans working. I also replaced the thermal fan switch and the fan controle module. Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
6/17/2010
VW Mechanic: David L., VW Technician replied 8 years ago
David L.
David L., VW Technician

Hi....I would like to assist you with your question. If you fans are not coming on there could be a few possibilities. I see you have replaced the module already which is a common issue. Another common one is the fans themselves which go bad quite often. The thing I would like you to check though is right above the battery. There is a small fuse box with main fuses and wires attached to them. There are also three green 30 amp fuses above those. If you are standing in front of the vehicle you need to check the first green fuse on the left. It is very common for them to overheat and melt causing the fuse to not make contact. If this is the case you will need to replace the fuse and the box it sits in. This fuse will make both the fans and the compressor not work. Contact me if you have further questions regarding this issue. Thanks, David

Please click Accept if my answer has helped and you are satisfied. Positive feedback and bonuses are greatly appreciated!