VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2000 VW Jetta: dealer or other repair shop

Customer Question
2000 VW Jetta VR6. I...
2000 VW Jetta VR6. I saw an earlier post you had for the induction cleaning. I have been having a problem with my car on and off for the past couple of years and nothing any dealer or other repair shop does seems to resolve the issue. Car stalls at stop lights and a couple of times even has stalled while driving slowly. This usually happens when th gas is low. I have been told that this is a problem with the mass airflow sensor and have had it replaced. The problem persists. The last thing I was told was that there is likely carbon build-up in the air filter system and that I should get the induction service done. I have also been notified that wires and plugs will need to be replaced when the cleaning is done, as the wires usually deteriorate when they are pulled apart for the induction service. I see that you quoted a rate of less than $200 for this service. I have been quoted between $900 and $1100 for the induction service. Have you heard of such a problem? Why is your quote so much lower? Can you fix my car?!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
6/16/2010
VW Mechanic: Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Ok is the check engine light ever on?Was the mass air flow sensor ever checked?
the mass air flow sensor was checked and replaced. doesn't fix the problem. I have had a check engine light on in the past but numerous diagnostics tests produce no codes.
What was the code number if you would this would help alot?Its a P0325 type code?
no codes were produced.
Was a factory mass air flow sensor used it makes a huge difference?
it was replaced by the VW dealership.
OK just checking.What are the exact symptoms?
sometimes as a prelude to stalling (at a traffic light/stop sign) the car feels like it is trying to move, RPM revs up, and then it stalls. the newest symptom is that it stalls as soon as the car is started. the best way my husband has found to get it to start when this happens is to start the car in neutral and begin revving the engine until it stays on. This is a new symptom however. The more enduring symptoms are just stalling out while at a light or stop sign. At times, the EPC and Engine light have come on, but this is sporadic and cannot seem to get this to be the case when I get it checked.

As I have had this checked out by multiple mechanics, I don't guess an answer is easy to come by, but would like to know if you think the newest reason I've been given "dirt" and need for induction service could help, is worth the $1100 they want to charge me? The last thing I need is to spend all that money and still have it malfunctioning. As you might imagine, I'm getting really tired of going back and forth to the mechanics every four to six months only to be given a remedy that doesn't solve the problem.
Either way that price is way to high.This is what you do .Disconnect the battery both terminals and clean the throttle body.Then reconnect the battery terminals .Start the car and let it idle until the cooling fan cycles to times.If there is still an issue it can be a throttle position sensor issue.As for the fuel injection service you can get this done for about 200 dollars a t a shop.WHat will really help is a top engine service.This is where a chemical is run through the vacuum line of the intake manifold and this cleans out all excessive carbon.I would do this before anything else.You can also have the car hooked up to a scanner and see the operation of the throttle position sensor and see if its failing.It can also be caused by a faulty coolant temp sensor.These are the next steps.

Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Did you need anything else?