gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

wagon: 5speed i replaced the intake lifters chain tensioner..diesel

Customer Question

Hello i have an 02 passat wagon 5speed i replaced the intake lifters chain tensioner and am getting a realy wierd noise witch seems to be coming from the in take side allmost like a diesel car has about 96 thous. miles on it my friend also replaced the pick up tube and a few oyhers said pump looked new need help cant aford to put any more money into this car and my wife is driving me nuts with no car.
thanks Dave
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 8 years ago.

If the noise is coming through the exhaust it sounds like you either have the timing belt off a tooth, or didn't get the chains spaced correctly when installing the lifters. With the engine set up on TDC, timing mark on the crank pulley has an alignment mark, exhaust cam has an alignment mark. With the valve cover removed, there will be two marks to align the camshaft chain gears- there should be 16 rollers between the teeth that align with these marks. Note that the teeth will not EXACTLY align with the marks (for no good reason, VW logic!) but will be slightly OUTSIDE these marks

If you are checking for low oil pressure (common on the 1.8T) then look into the oil pickup tube for any signs of carbon "grit" clogging the pickup

Edited by gomi_otaku on 6/15/2010 at 6:25 PM EST