David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified
5856072

2003 VW Beetle: convertible..the tension crd broke..back down

Customer Question

I have a 2003 VW Beetle convertible and the tension crd broke on left back side. I took it to a VW dealer and they supposely fixed it. The first time I let the top down it broke the cord again and the back window would only go so far up and then it would go back down. I carried it back to VW dealership an now they are saying the motor is burned up in window. I never had a problem with it before. Do you think the motor is burned up if it only goes up so far and then goes back down?
Category: VW
Expert:  David replied 8 years ago.
The window issue is most likely a regulator going bad. We have seen an extremely high fail rate of the rear window regulator. VW has a repair kit to replace the cables and the window clamp. The problem is the labor to replace the regulator is costly around 4 hours plus the cost of the kit. The tensioning cables do break, but once replaced they should have been ok, sounds like the tech did something wrong with the cords. I dont think the issues are related how ever.