VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2001 VW: Turbo..the car would rev and then the rpms would drop..stall…

Customer Question
I have a 2001 VW...
I have a 2001 VW New Beetle (Turbo 5 speed manual) - yesterday while driving home from work when I came to a stop, the car would rev and then the rpms would drop to zero and the car would stall. I would start it back up without any issue and continue on my way. I stalled out about 4 times on the way home at stoplights. I have an appt. to have my mechanic to look at it tomorrow. My ride is still smooth...and the car didn't stall out today at all at any stops. Any advice? The car has 116000 miles.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/10/2010
VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Honestly it's probably just the throttle body being dirty. The throttle is trying to compensate that's what's with the reving. I'd start by disconnecting the intake boot at the throttle body then remove the four 6mm allen screws that hold the throttle body to the intake manifold and clean it out with carb cleaner. That usually fixes it.

Danny
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Thanks so much for this info.! Any idea as to what this might run me?
Oh it's about an hour labor. You can do it yourself the carb cleaner is cheap and all you need is a screwdriver to remove the clamp from the rubber boot on the throttle body.

Here's a picture.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/1-8-liter-turbo/45087d1212778450-how-clean-your-1-8t-throttle-body-quick-way-dsc01025.jpg

That's what you're cleaning but on the inside. Then you just use an old rag, soak it in carb cleaner, and prop the throttle plate on the inside open with a screwdriver and clean the inside.

Danny