VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Passat: anyone tell..my passat v reg 1.8 20v turbo

Customer Question
hi could anyone tell me...
hi could anyone tell me if a engine out of a y reg 1.8 20v turbo passat will fit my passat v reg 1.8 20v turbo
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
6/9/2010
VW Mechanic: vwtech0405, VW Technician replied 8 years ago
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Do they have the same engine code ??
i am not sure as i havent purchased the other engine yet
Ok they will fit but you need to make sure the other engine has the same options as yours like secondary air system i have seen where customers buy used engines and the new does not have the secondary air system when theres did and it will run but it will trigger a check engine light just try to match the engine codes before purchasing. I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!

hi thanks for the info and i have been to look at the new engine today and it all looks same apart from the codes are different and the one i got says 20v on the top cover and the one i can have says 18T on the top cover but could i use parts of the new one to put mine right as its knocking its head off not sure weather its bottom end or not as i had the oil seal done on the crank not to long ago but just wondering if the timeing hasent been set up properly and this is what has caused it to start knocking as its been alright for a month or so but i thrashed it abit down m1 and it flashed up on dash oil pressure somet stop car could this have caused my problems

Ok the oil light is very common to come on these vehicle more then likely you have a clogged oil pump pick up tube and what is making the noise is the cam tensioner because not enough oil is getting to the cylinder head if your noise is coming from the valve cover area on the back side towards the firewall then this is your issue you can just replace the pick up tube and the noise should quite down . To answer your question yes you can use the parts from the other engine in your just make sure the parts #s match . I hope this info has all helped please do not forget to click accept for the advice and knowledge i have provided you on this issue thanks!