VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

VW Golf: Fuel Rail..Too Low..Low Pressure..Fuel Pressure

mk5 VW Golf Edition 30...
mk5 VW Golf Edition 30 2007.

000135 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure: Too Low
P0087 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
and

012555 - Low Pressure Fuel regulation: Fuel Pressure Outside Specification
P310B - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

Help please....
5/24/2010
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Usually this fault is set because the low pressure switch in the fuel line (right at the head) is faulty and is registering a pressure not in spec with what should be being put out by the pump.
Do you mean on the fuel rail or on the high pressure pump? Isn't the low pressure switch on the pump and the high pressure switch on the fuel rail?
Yes, the low pressure switch on the pump. NOT the high pressure switch on the rail.
As i did mention, i have replaced that part. It made no difference. The car has the DSG gearbox and this fault happens at 6000 rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear only. The power cuts out and goes into limp mode. This car does have an uprated turbo and high pressure fuel pump. It produces 410 bhp. Any ideas?
David, VW Master Technician

There is a tech bulletin regarding this issue see below the bulletin and correction action.

01 07 69

Dec. 13, 2007
(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
Supersedes T.B. Group 01 number 07-64 dated Oct. 1, 2007 due to corrected part number in Required Parts and Tools field

Condition

MIL ON, DTC P129F and or P3IOB Stored in ECM Fault Memory

Technical Background

Due to fuel intrusion into the Low Pressure Side Fuel Pressure Sensor -G410-, a false signal may be sent to the ECM resulting in a reading that is out of tolerance. A false signal may result in illumination of the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and DTC P129F or DTC P310B being stored in fault memory.

Production Solution

Improved fuel pressure sensor -G410- to aid against fuel intrusion.

Service

NOTE: DO NOT replace fuel system components for DTCs listed above before completing this technical bulletin.

For 2.0T (BPY) and 3.6L (BLV, BHK) FSI engines:

1. Check to ensure:

^ DTC P129F and/or P310B are stored in DTC memory.

^ No other fuel delivery system DTCs that clearly indicate a component failure (DTCs for fuel delivery system component electrical faults) are present.

2. Start engine and allow it to idle.

3. Disconnect fuel metering valve connector -N276- on high pressure fuel pump.

4. Compare fuel pressure values from MVB 103 field 1 and MVB 106 field 1.

5. If MVB 103 value deviates more than +/- 0.5 bar (7.25 psi) from MVB 106 measurement, then DTC was likely triggered by a faulty -G410- Low Side Fuel Pressure Sensor. In this case, replace -G410- low-side fuel pressure sensor. See Repair Manual Group 24 Multiport Fuel Injection (MFI) in ElsaWeb.

a. Clear DTCs and verify concern is resolved.

b. Run Basic Settings 103 to adapt system.

c. If problem persists, further fuel system diagnosis is required.

TIP:

Some technicians may still wish to use a mechanical gauge to check fuel pressure.graphic

To verify low side fuel pressure, a mechanical gauge may be connected in the engine compartment (Figure 1).

^ Add 1 bar (14.5 psi) to value obtained from mechanical gauge to calculate adjusted gauge measurement.

^ Compare adjusted gauge measurement to value stored in MVB 103 field 1.

VAG 1318 gauge installed on a 2.0T FSI vehicle.

TIP:

MVB 103 field 1 value should be approximately 1 bar (14.5 psi) above mechanical gauge reading. This is a normal condition and does not indicate a faulty sensor.

Sensor Identification

graphic

2.0L (BPY) Fuel pressure sensor
Part No. 06E 906 051 J.

Hi David

Thanks for the response.

Just to clarify, the switch is the low pressure switch that's fitted into the high pressure pump?

Thanks

James Hodson

I believe it is on the line, not the pump. I will check to make sure when I get back home later this evening

Hi David.

Have you had chance to check?

Here is the picture again, sorry I guess I must have not uploaded correctly last time.

graphic

David, VW Master Technician
David, VW Master Technician