Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Much does is cost to replace the timing belt on a 2002 vw passat 1.8T

how much does is cost to replace the timing belt on a 2002 vw passat 1.8T
Category: VW
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

what reason did he give you for replacing the timing belt after being replaced just a year ago?

Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

How many miles since last belt replaced?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It was a different mechanic. My malfunction indicator light had come on and I was taking it in to have ti checked.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

Ok, do you happen to know what the fault code number is, or what he told you the fault code definition is?

The reason I ask is because it is highly doubtful that you would need a new timing belt at this point. They only need to be replaced every 60-80,000 miles.

About the only 2 fault codes that could possibly involve engine timing are for faults for crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor, but, and this a big one, both of the these codes are normally due to one of three things:

• faulty sensor
  • open/short in wiring harness
  • faulty pcm(on board computer)

It is very rare that the actual timing is the issue, and when it is, it is due to timing being off. This doesnt require replacing the belt if it is still new. It would require resetting the timing belt, which would be approx 5hrs labor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How can i find out what the fault code is? My car was recently hit in an accident. When it was hit the malfunction indicator light went off. The body shop did the work then took it to a shop for repairs. The rear axle was broken when the car was hit. Could this be related to what i'm seeing now?
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

It is possible that the two are related. As far as getting the code, you can call the mechanic that looked at it, or you can take it by most major parts stores like Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, O'Reilleys and they will read the onboard computer for Free and tell you what the code number is XXXXX well as the definition.