VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

How to replace headlight bulb on 06 New Beetle convertible;

passenger side....
How to replace headlight bulb on 06 New Beetle convertible; passenger side.
3/14/2010
Dan, Technician

Press release button 1 and press up botton 2.

Pull headlamp housing forward to disconnect connectors.

Remove housing.

graphic

vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician

Welcome to Just Answer!!!

The procedure posted by previous expert was for the older model beetle here is the procedure for you model if the bulb thats bad is the one on the drivers side you will need to remove the battery cover heres the procedure .

Headlamps From 07.05, Removing And Installing

NOTE: Removal and installation of right headlamp is illustrated. Removal and installation of left headlamp is the same.

Special tools, testers and auxiliary items required

• 5 mm hex socket wrench
Removing

graphic

Insert hex wrench into headlamp lock - arrow -

graphic

• Turn hex socket wrench -1- approximately 180 degrees in direction of - arrow - (clockwise) in order to release headlamp housing from retainer.

• Return the headlamp lock -1- 90 degrees as shown.

NOTE:

• In order for the headlamp housing to slide in an out freely, the "U" section of the headlamp lock must be in the lowest position (90 degrees).
  • Should the headlamp be difficult to remove from vehicle, turn hex socket wrench -1 alternately in both directions while pulling headlamp housing out of retainer.
graphic

• Depress lock tab - arrow - while pulling headlamp forward out of retainer.
NOTE: The electrical connection is integrated with both the headlamp and retainer and is disconnected automatically upon removal of headlamp.

CAUTION: Headlamp lock on retainer must not be turned while headlamp is removed.

PLEASE ODNT FORGET TO CLICK ACCET FOR THE ADVICE GIVEN THANKS!

Dan....

Is this under the windshield washer neck to the left with a stainless snap hoder on it? On the passenger side to the left front facing the car? Just got the new instructions.

Yes right by the washer fluid fill if you are replacing the passenger side and yes the stainless snap holder but make sure you release the headlight assembly out first by turning the 5mm allen first then you push down on the release to get it completely out.

PLEASE DONT FORGET TO CLICK ACCEPT FOR THE ADVICE GIVEN TO YOU ON THIS ISSUE THANKS!

Edited by vwtech0405 on 3/14/2010 at 6:02 AM EST
I'm not able to get the headlamp out of the retainer.
I'm not able to get the headlamp out of the retainer. I'm still not able to get the lamp assembly out! Is the retainer ring holding it or what? Does just the glass part of the assembly come out?
Hello anybody there? Still waiting for an answer about getting the headlamp out of the retainer on my VW.
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician

You are removing the entire headlight "pod" assembly. Don't pull on the front lens as it can separate from the unit.

Once you get the hex shaft turned (will push the headlight assembly out slightly) then you need to look down behind the headlight assembly in the engine compartment. You will see a metal "tab". Push down on that metal tab, it will seem loose and floppy, but it is a secondary release. Once you have that pushed down, then push slightly on the back end of the headlight assembly to slide it out. Make sure you stand in front of the headlight as at that point there is NOTHING holding it in- no wiring harness, etc- so you don't want it to crash out and hit the ground.

When you go to re-insert the assembly, before inserting, turn the hex shaft so the curved part that interacts with the headlight assembly is curved down, out of the way. It will pop into a detent in the metal tab underneath it. Then slide the headlight assembly in, push on it with your hip to push it into place while turning the hex shaft in the "lock" direction.

gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician