VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

2005 vw jetta transmission problem. It has a JF506E transmission. I

Customer Question
2005 vw jetta transmission problem...
2005 vw jetta transmission problem. It has a JF506E transmission.
I only have a Snapon scanner but am able to get a P0743 (3rd gear slip) code.
When the code sets, the car won't shift out of 1st gear. Reset the code and it is OK for a while. I removed the transmission to rebuild / repair only to find everything looking new. I installed new clutches and a B solenoid thinking that may take care of it, but it did not help.
I did a lot of research and found that the are having a lot of problems with the high/ reverse pistons cracking. I could not see any cracks, and the clutches don't appear to be slipping. I ordered a new upgraded piston, a set of shift solenoids, and an intermediate speed sensor. Is there anything else that mey cause this that I need to address before I reassemble it for the second time? I also replaced the switch under the shifter that I am told causes a lot of problems.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: VW
1/5/2010
VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Are you sure that fault code is right, when I look it up in my system I'm coming up with p0743 being a torque converter clutch fault code.

Danny
I'm sorry, it is a code P0733. When I scan it with with a Modis using the VW software, it came up with a "range selector switch implausable value" (something like that) I wrote down the VAG code and promptly lost it. But when you scan it "generic" you will get the P0733 code. HELP!
The only times I've seen that code is when 3rd gear is slipping. If you've replaced the clutches and apply pistons then to me it seems like it's the valve body or solenoids.

That code means it's slipping, it's a pretty common code we normally refer to it as the transmission death code.

I'm not really sure what advice I can give you other than I don't recommend trying to rebuild VW transmissions (as you see now).

I think I'll opt out so another expert can help because I don't have much more information for you.

Do not hit accept next to my name, wait for another expert to jump in.

Danny
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 7 years ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

U DO HAVE EURO SOFTWARE IN YOUR MODIS

GO TO VW 2005 AND ABOVE

EXPERT MODE

02 TRANSMISSION ELECTRNICS

02 CHECK FAULT MEMORY

PLEASE GIVE ME ALL #'S AND WORDING OF WHAT IT DISPLAYS!!

THANK YOU

The tech opted out and the second tech requested information that was not available with the transmission out of the car. Please just leave my account credited as I'm sure that I will need more help!
i want to help !!!
Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician