VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

For a VW Mechanic: 1998 VW Jetta died on the rtoad and would…

for a VW Mechanic: 1998 VW...
for a VW Mechanic:
1998 VW Jetta died on the rtoad and would not start.
It restarted eventually, it idles but does not repsonf to the throttle well,
it stumbles and sometimes dies.
What to check in order to get home, if possible?
1/3/2010
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
IIvan Orisek,

I'd check and see if the coil is dying. This is pretty common symptoms for a dead coil or bad fuelpump, if you're sure about the pump coil is next in line.

Danny

What volume of fuel per minute should the unrestricted fuel pump be pumping per minute?

Any way to check the coil other than cleaning the plug?

To check the coil you can take a spark plug out and hold it near the engine with a thick rag or pliers and have somebody turn the engine over when the problem is happening and see if the spark is nice and blue or looks weak and yellowish.

The fuel pressure test is I believe done with a restriction in place so the test shouldn't be done like that.

Danny
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic

Fuel pressure test -yes. But, there is also a rated volume for unrestricted fuel pump.

Do you know the pressure - should be 40 to 45 psi, right?

One last question: Is there a way to get the test codes on this car without the scan tool just by manipulating the ingintion key?

You have to have a scan tool to get codes, or to reset them on any VW.

As far as the fuel pressure I don't know it off the top of my head, I've never had to do the test. They normally work or they don't. I can look it up tomorrow for you if you'd like, I don't have my factory manual at home. OR you can give me your car's vin number and I'll look if it's in the online manual which it probably is.

VW specs out their fuel pump tests by requiring a T fitting with a shutoff valve and a pressure guage, you have to close the valve until you get a set pressure on the guage. THEN you measure fuel pump flow at that pressure. So you need a special pressure tester basically.

Danny
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic

Yes, we know how to do all this.

FYI, these pumps put out 80 to 120 to 150 to 250 (racing) liters per HOUR.

Thanks for your insight and coil tip.