Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified with experience in VW/Audi specialty shop
21364095

Where do I check the transmission fluid level in my 2002 VW

Where do I check the transmission fluid level in my 2002 VW beetle? 2.0 litre engine?
How do I add fluid?
Category: VW
Expert:  Doug replied 7 years ago.

The transmission fluid is checked differently on this car than most. On the bottom of the transmission is a drain plug with an insert in it. When you remove the drain plug with the engine running and at operating temperature, the transmission will lose a little to no fluid. If it is overfilled, it will spill out heavily. If it is underfilled, you will need to add fluid through the fill hole on the front until the fluid exits the bottom through the drain hole. The fill hole has a protective cap around it that must be unsnapped, then the plug can be removed from the filler neck. See pictures for locations.

Technically, you are supposed to use a VW scantool to verify operating temperature during fluid level check, but as long as you are up to full operating temperature you should be okay.

graphic
graphic