VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a 1994 vw golf, 2.0i 8v. The engine has started to…

Customer Question
Hi I have a 1994 vw...
Hi
I have a 1994 vw golf, 2.0i 8v.
The engine has started to rev up and down on its own when ticking over, sometimes it steadys to about 800 rpm but sometimes cuts out, when driving, it appears to be ok while driving when warm through the gears but when i come to a junction the engine can cut out or continue to rev up and down generally between 800 rpm & 2000 rpm.
i have change plugs, leads, cap, fuel dont know were to go next.
Does anyone out there have the answer or seen this before ???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
12/22/2009
VW Mechanic: Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Have you checked the idle control valve?

No

were is this part on the engine ? are they easily replaced

Its located on the fron of the manifold and easily repalced.This diagram should help you out.

graphic

Hi

I have replaced the idle control valve and the problem still persists ??

OK did you blled and top off the cooling system?

Hi Sorry

i dont understand, "did i blled the top off the cooling system" ?? are you asking did i bleed the top off the cooling system, if so, this idle control valve is not connected to the cooling system ??

I undertstand that alot of times an air pocket in the cooling system can also cause this.
ok i'll try this in the morning, is there a correct bleed valve in the cooling system ?