VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2003 Passat: passenger..im guessing..heavy rains.....have…

My assistant has a 2003...
My assistant has a 2003 Passat station wagon that is getting water in the passenger compartment (floor mostly) although there was water in the small coin compartment in the dash.When I took off the cover of the compartment the battery is in there were some accumulations of debris in the outside corners.I'm guessing there are drains in that compartment that may be plugged and during heavy rains the water backs up and infiltrates thru the firewall.Two questions.1)does that theory make sense...have you seen this problem? 2)Is this something that can be remedied by the owner or is a mechanic visit necessary? Thanks...John
12/9/2009
VW Mechanic: Jeremiah Mahler, ASE Certified Technician replied 13 years ago
Jeremiah Mahler
Jeremiah Mahler, ASE Certified Technician
There are 2 main trouble areas for water leaks on Passats: the front rain tray, and the sunroof drains.

The P9 recall (call your dealer to see if applies) addresses these problems. During the recall the drain in the rain tray underneath the battery is removed. The air box intake (also in the rain tray) is sealed to prevent water from entering the cabin if it should fill up. And the end of the front sunroof drains are cut off (can be seen with the front doors open).

The ends of the sunroof drains can be easily cut off but the other parts require tools and are more involved. If it is under the recall they will do all this for free.

Jeremiah Mahler