Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

Jetta tdi: a flashing glow plug light and the mil on with code 1562

Customer Question

Is there any harm driving my 02 jetta tdi with a flashing glow plug light and the mil on with code 1562?
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.
Customer

Is the car running fine? It's ok to drive for now if it isn't running horribly, but it indicates a problem with the injection pump and it's possible the pump could fail or the quantity adjuster may need to be replaced.

Danny
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is running rather well right now. Its got a bit of a rough idle. Ive got some experience wrenching myself but i am not familiar with vw's let alone a tdi. How complicated is replacin the quantity adjuster? And what would the steps be to diagnose the adjuster being bad or needing a new ip?
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.
Ok so the tests are as follows, you need a voltmeter. You need to turn the ignition off and check the resistance of 2 things. Here's a picture of the connector for the injection pump and the pin layout.

graphic
Checking Modulating Piston Displacement Sensor G149 .

Modulating piston displacement sensor G149 and quantity adjuster N146 , checking
  • Measure resistance between connector terminals 1 + 2 and 2 + 3.
  • Specification: 4.9 to 7.5 Ω
Checking Quantity Adjuster N146

• Measure resistance between connector terminals 5+6.
  • Specification: 0.5 to 2.5 Ω
Let me know what you find, technically you're supposed to replace the whole injection pump for these problems as far as VW is concerned but this place here rebuilds and supplies components for the injection pumps.

http://www.dfispdx.com/

Danny

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for the help.