VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

I have a 1999 VW Beetle, manual transmission. Today, the shifter

I have a 1999 VW...
I have a 1999 VW Beetle, manual transmission. Today, the shifter would not go into 5th gear after driving it a few minutes the car would only go into one gear probably third or fourth and would stall going up into my driveway (slight incline). No engine lights came on. The engine seems to be running okay and I was hesitant to drive it again. The shifter is very loose and will go into every gear frreely without clutching. Any ideas? Thanks. Bill
9/30/2009
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic

Customer,

Look on top of the transmission and see if the cables appear to be broken or disconnected while somebody shifts the shifter around.

Danny

It's dark and raining. can't do it right now. What do you think it is? Bill

The ends on the shifter cables tend to break because they're made of plastic on many cars and that causes this. The end is available separately from the dealer for like $12.

Danny

Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Could it be anything else? Also, the dealer charges a flat rate. Would you have an approximate cost? Thanks. Bill

You don't need to take it to the dealership for this, it's super easy to fix if it's the cable ends and I can describe how to fix it. You literally just need a drill bit to replace cable end and set the shifter.

The dealer is going to charge an hour to diagnose this and then like another hour to replace the end and set the shifter. So like $230.

Danny

Edited by Danny on 9/30/2009 at 12:24 AM EST
Danny
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic