VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

how do i remove the fuel lines from the fuel pump on a 02 jetta

2.0...
how do i remove the fuel lines from the fuel pump on a 02 jetta 2.0
6/20/2009
JamesH
JamesH, Auto Service Tech
I need to know if your Jetta is GL, GLS or a GLX?
gl wagon
I know your question is just about the fuel lines, but I am going to send you how to remove the fuel pump. Because it gives instructions and pictures on how to remove the fuel lines from the pump. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks.

Fuel delivery unit, removing and installing

WARNING!
Fire hazard! Do NOT have anything in the area that can ignite gasoline!

Special tools

• 3217 Ring nut wrench

Removing

• Note safety precautions before starting work.

CAUTION!
Obtain radio anti-theft code from customer BEFORE disconnecting battery Ground strap!

• With ignition switched OFF, disconnect battery Ground strap.
  • Fold rear seat backrest forward.
  • Remove (or fold forward) luggage compartment carpet.
  • Remove metal cover for fuel delivery unit (three screws).

WARNING!
Fuel supply lines are underpressure! Before removing from hose connection, wrap a cloth around the connection. Then release pressure by carefully pulling hose off connection.

• Disconnect 4-pin harness connector and supply and return lines (arrows) from flange.

NOTE: Press down on fuel line connectors to release.

• Remove union nut using 3217 wrench.
  • Pull fuel delivery unit and seal out of fuel tank opening.

NOTE: If the delivery unit being replaced; properly drain old delivery unit before disposal.

Installing
Installation is carried out in the reverse order of the removal procedure.

NOTE:

• Do not bend the fuel sensor when installing.
  • Coat flange seal with fuel when installing.
  • Ensure that fuel hoses are securely seated.
  • Secure fuel hoses with spring clamps.

• Note installed position of fuel delivery unit flange: Mark on flange must align with mark on fuel tank (arrows).
  • After installing fuel delivery unit, check that the supply, return and vent lines are still clipped to the fuel tank.
  • Match Engine Control Module to Throttle Control Module:
  • Check Readiness code:
  • If DTCs are stored in the ECM or ECM receives low voltage when ignition is on, Readiness code must be reset:

Fig. 1 Fuel delivery unit flange, installed position

NOTE:

• Mark on sensor must align with mark on fuel tank (arrows).
  • Blue or blue marked return line -1- to connection with identification -R-.
  • Black supply line -2- to connection with identification -V-.
  • After installing fuel delivery unit flange, ensure that supply, return and breather lines are still clipped to the fuel tank.
how do you disconect the fuel lines from the pump?

View Full Image

View Full Image

JamesH
JamesH, Auto Service Tech

thank you.

No problem. Thank You
JamesH
JamesH
JamesH, Auto Service Tech