VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

my 1998 vw jetta radio is in safe mode and i have no manuel

Customer Question
how do i reset it...
my 1998 vw jetta radio is in safe mode and i have no manuel how do i reset it
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
6/15/2009
VW Mechanic: JamesH, Auto Service Tech replied 8 years ago
JamesH
JamesH, Auto Service Tech

Radio anti-theft coding (Sound System), activating

Functional notes

All Sound System radios are equipped with an electronic anti-theft system.
Anti-theft coding prevents radio operation by unauthorized persons after removal.
The electronic anti-theft system is not pre-activated on new radio units. It is not activated until the proper code number is XXXXX
After initial entry of code number, the radio reads the instrument panel input number and stores it in memory.
If the power supply is interrupted, the radio will automatically compare stored number with the actual instrument panel number after ignition.
If the numbers match, the radio will be functional within a matter of seconds.
Manual deactivation of electronic anti-theft system is no longer necessary!
If the radio has been installed in a different vehicle or if the instrument panel has been replaced, the code numbers will not match and the electronic anti-theft system must be manually deactivated.
A radio which has been locked-out by the electronic anti-theft system will show the letters SAFE on its display when switched on.

The electronic anti-theft system is activated and will lock-out radio as soon as:

• Radio is installed in a different vehicle
  • Instrument panel is replaced

Deactivating anti-theft lock-out

Deactivating the radio is only possible by entering the correct code number for the electronic anti-theft system.

Notes: The code number for anti-theft system is listed along with the radio serial number on the radio card. See Owners Manual.
In order to deactivate radio lock-out, you must switch ignition on, or else the radio will not be able to read the instrument panel number.
This process requires about 5 seconds. During this time, do not attach the scan tool or leave the scan tool attached.
  • Switch ignition on.
  • Switch radio on.

Radio displays "SAFE" and then "1000." No button inputs are required.

• Using preset station buttons -1- through -4-, enter code number attached to radio card (press preset button -1- to enter first digit in code number, preset button -2- for second digit, and so on).
  • Once entire code is entered, push (left or right) rocker button toward right and hold until anti-theft coding is activated. A short "beep" denotes activation.

Electronic anti-theft system (Sound System), activating

The electronic anti-theft prevention system is not pre-activated on new radio units.

Anti-theft system is not activated until the proper code number is XXXXX

Notes: The code number for the anti-theft system is listed along with the radio serial number on the radio card.
If a radio is replaced, the code number from the replacement radio must be used.
Customer must be informed of new code number if it has been changed. See User Manual.
During activation, do not attach scan tool or leave scan tool attached.
WARNING! For security reasons the radio card should never be left in the vehicle.
  • Switch ignition on.
  • Switch radio on.

• Using preset station buttons -1- through -4-, enter code number attached to radio card. Press preset button -1- to enter first digit in code number, preset button -2- for second digit and so on.

If code number has been entered into the radio correctly, the diode on front of the radio must blink when the key is removed from the ignition. If the diode blinks, the radio is operational and the anti-theft coding is activated.

• Code radio functions accordingly
  • Check functionality.
how do i know what the code is without manuel
You will have to contact the dealership they are the only ones with access to the database for the radio codes they will do this free of charge. Thanks
JamesH
JamesH
JamesH, Auto Service Tech