VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

2002 VW super beetle: hot..possible causes

Customer Question
2002 VW super beetle...
2002 VW super beetle check engine light blinking.. smells hot..possible causes?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: VW
4/17/2009
VW Mechanic: marcpod, Own collision repair advice replied 8 years ago
marcpod
marcpod, Own collision repair advice
Check radiator and fluid make sure the fans are working
VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Customer

Do you have a 1.8 turbo in the vehicle? Your car is actively misfiring and you should NOT continue driving the car. If you have a 1.8t then the cause is a faulty coil on one of the cylinders. Driving the car like this can blow the engine or ruin the catalytic converter. You can run the car and remove one of the coils at a time from the head and see which one does not make a difference in the way the car is running. That is the failed coil and it needs to be replaced. A new one is around $55 at the dealer. Also replace the spark plugs with good NGK plugs, not the upgraded ones just normal NGK sparkplugs. This is the leading reason for coil failure.

If I have helped please remember to hit accept so the site will compensate me, if you need further assistance please let me know.

Danny

Danny
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
THanks Danny a good and thorough answer...if there are follow ups how to contact you ?
Danny - assume same true if a 2.0 turbo ?
VW didn't release a 2.0 turbo engine until the 2005 model year and it has never been offered in a Beetle. So if your engine is turbo it's a 1.8t and if it's not, then it's a 2.0 and if you aren't sure you can give me the vin number and I can check what engine it has.

Danny
Sorry Danny it's 1.8 she was reading the 2 liter emblem
Why does it have a 2.0 liter emblem on it if it's a 1.8. I'm confused now, does it say 2.0 on the engine cover or something? Do you need me to check with the vin number? It's important.
I think I'm confused too...it does have a the 2.0 on the engine cover...she bought used from a Ford dealer and among other things it didn't have an owners manual. Wonder if engine replaced/wrecked or other hanky panky.

Hate to have you keep wasting your time for the measly $9 we paid. we'll check vin and thanks for your efforts.
mystery solved I think. The emblem is 20v as in 20 valves ( 1.8 has 5 valves per cyl)
Danny
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic