David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified
5856072

1999 VW Jetta: The ABS light comes on and stays on most of the time

1999 VW Jetta - The ABS light comes on and stays on most of the time. I get the error code P1649. I can reset it. This turns the light out, for a little while. I could use a wiring diagram.

P1649 Data-Bus-Drivetrain Missing Message From ABS Control Module

This usually indicates a control unit starting to go bad for the ABS system. There was a recall for this vehicle but I am not sure if it applied to your vehicle. If you can provide the VIN I will run it for any open recalls. If I remember correctly the recall was for the 2.0 and not the 1.8T but send me your VIN and I will double check

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

VIN # XXXXX

A "control Unit"? Can you be more specific, I assume you mean the ABS control unit.

Thanks, Gordon

Campaigns/Actions
Vehicle Data VIN: 3VWRA29M6XM106303
Campaigns/Actions No. Service Number (Campaign Code) Start Date Description Repair Date Applicable Criteria ID(s) Campaign/Action Status
1 UM00 2008-05-26 Recall Campaign UM - Replace B-Pillar Trim 01 Open
2 WA00 2006-07-24 Emissions Recall Campaign: Reprogram ECM, Replace Malfunctio 01 Open

You do have two open recalls but not for the ABS issue. The control unit that is going bad on your vehicle is the ABS control unit. You will need to have it replaced to correct the communication issue. I would also suggest you make an appointment at your local VW dealer to have the two recalls performed on your VW.